• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 TheatreDust

TheatreDust

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

I agree, it works wonderfully in the Landor and I loved the show.  The cast were perfect and I hope this gets the audiences it deserves throughout the run.  You leave with your head spinning slightly around the "show about itself" concept, but in a good way.

Packed so full of MT references I think I'm going to have to go back to take them all in...

#22 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:57 AM

It was fun and I agree that the cast members (and MD) were all excellent, but I was less keen on the show itself.  I've seen far better things at the Landor and slightly regret giving up the time for this at the expense of other things.  However, that's obviously just my opinion and it was great to see a nearly full house, even for a weekend matinee in fine weather.

#23 John_Rebus

John_Rebus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:33 AM

[title of show] does indeed f'ing rock! Saw it yesterday at the Landor and loved every second of it. So full of musical theatre references that it's a real treat for us MT fans, even though I guess I only understood / found half of them.

Favourite songs were Die Vampire Die (which is also my fav song on the CD) and - surprisingly - Monkeys and Playbills, a song I usually skip on the CD but whose staging with all the projections was done so beautifully.

Cast were fab and harmonised so well together. <10 free seats, which isn't that bad for a weekday at a fringe theatre I'd say.

Only sad that I won't be back in town until after the show closes so I can't see it again. But if you are in town until early september - go see it.

Now let's all hope to get a production of "Now. Here. This." next year...
"Some People are Worth Melting For." - Olaf, Snowman

#24 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:22 PM

Really enjoyed this last night. Was part of a tiny audience of around twenty, but that didn't stop the cast from giving it their all. A great ninety minutes of theatre. A full review is on the blog if you're interested: http://thegreatestof...eatre.html#more.
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#25 zyx123

zyx123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

I saw the Edinburgh version on Saturday, there must have been over 150 people watching that one. Then again there were easily over 500 people watching a student production of Avenue Q.

#26 DrP

DrP

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

blimey

#27 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

I saw this in Edinburgh last week where it was performed really well with great ghusto by a good west end cast. I didn't really like the show itself, I think it's just a matter of taste but it wasn't for me. It could be that I dislike plays/films/musicals where they use the device of writers struggling to come up with ideas - see 7 psychopaths, copacabana and others. I think it's a lazy device and can easily picture the writers having the light bulb moment sitting in a room struggling for inspiration - oh why don't we write about writers sitting in a room struggling for inspiration? wow what a leap of imagination! So for me it's not the vastly intelligent meta piece that it thinks it is. I can kind of see why it does well because one message of it is - 'if you criticise this it will crush us'.

The in jokes were better done in the drowsy chaperone and seemed a bit too smug in this and the character development was lacking, this could be because it was a shortened version in Edinburgh. It was instantly predictable and the B plot with the girls just didnt seem to make sense to me, they hate each other then they like each other without ever really earning those dramatic beats. For me Merrily is a far better musical. I'd be interested to see what the team behind this come out with in the future because I normally view a show about struggling writers as a last resort.

Again, just my opinion and it clearly has a dedicated fan base. I'm glad it didn't come to the west end as it would have tanked.

#28 John_Rebus

John_Rebus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:34 AM

View Postpaplazaroo, on 22 August 2013 - 08:07 AM, said:

[...]I'd be interested to see what the team behind this come out with in the future because I normally view a show about struggling writers as a last resort.[...]

They already came out with "Now. Here. This.": http://www.vineyardt.../now-here-this/

Haven't seen NHT on stage (yet, hopefully). Like the soundtrack, but not as much as TOS.
"Some People are Worth Melting For." - Olaf, Snowman

#29 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

Thanks for the heads up! Looks similar to title of show

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users