- - - - -

Musicals You Would Love To See Come To The West End?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

So, I was just listening through my iTunes and came across some musicals which I love that have yet to have their English debut (and perhaps some of them never will!).

What musicals would you love to see come to the West End one day?

Number one for me is ELISABETH. I am ever so slightly obsessed with Elisabeth and I'm visiting Vienna this year just to see it (and hopefully catch the standby der Tod, Oliver Arno!). I'm not entirely sure it would work in the UK though. I mean, if you read what the musical is actually about, you're probably going to be left thinking "What the hell?" bu the music is just beautiful.

I'd also love to see THE ADDAMS FAMILY come to the West End - although surely the UK must be its next destination? It's currently having a very successful run in Australia. I guess the UK won't see it until there is a definitive version though - the current Australian version is version 5 and every production staged thus far has been significantly different than the version that made it to Broadway (with the story even being heavily altered).

Wildhorn's Dracula - After its Broadway flop a few years back, a significantly improved version debuted in Graz in 2007, starring Thomas Borchert in the title role (who I'm slighty in love with also xD!). I adore it. There have been several amateur productions in the UK, but no professional. Although Wildhorn doesn't seem to like bringing his musicals to the UK.. Actually, I love a lot of Wildhorn's stuff, such as The Count of Monte Cristo and Rudolf - The Last Kiss but I'm not holding my breath for us to get any of these any time soon either...

And Rebecca - I guess after the recent scandal with the Broadway production, we probably won't see an English-language debut in a while and if we do, it will more than likely flop... I think the scandal has irreparably tarnished the reputation of the musical. There was a lot of talk of it debuting in London a few years back in the Shaftesbury theatre, but then it was suddenly announced it would debut on Broadway instead...

So, fire away! What would you love to see come to the UK?
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#2 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3399 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

The Addams Family was looking at a London base a year or two ago but nothing came of it

#3 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

Tanz der Vampire, but it will never happen (for obvious reasons!)

#4 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

Newsies, Kinky Boots and The Addams Family (I LOVE "Crazier Than You")!

#5 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

View Postcanadian_turtle, on 31 May 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

Newsies, Kinky Boots and The Addams Family (I LOVE "Crazier Than You")!

They added Mal and Alice into Crazier Than You now (as a replacement for In The Arms which was axed after the B'way run. Although they also axed The Moon and Me, for the US tour but if you look at the Australian production trailer, it was clearly added again... so maybe we'll see Crazier Than You back to what it was on B'way. Personally, I LOVE Full Disclosure;

I also love the new song they added, Secrets;

2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#6 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

The Addams Family, Wonderland and Cinderella :)

#7 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for the videos, I'll watch them when I get home. I'm surprised to hear they changed Crazier For You along the line, I love the original Broadway version.

#8 John_Rebus

John_Rebus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

I'd absolutely love seeing Newsies in the Westend, and apparently it will transfer in a not so long time. Then Bombshell, but a Broadway version would need to happen beforehand - I just loved what I saw from Smash, and they seem to have most of the songs and the book available. Also, The In-Between. The concept album is running more or less constantly. Next to normal needs to transfer. And finally, [title of show].
"If you want to get the girl of your dreams, all you gotta do is change your personality beyond recognition and wear lots of tight leather apparel." - Rydell High School, School Motto.

#9 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:41 PM

Probably said this a million times already, but YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN!!!!!!

#10 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

I really enjoyed the concert performance of Little Women last year & would like to see that as a fully fledged show.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users