66 replies to this topic

#21 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

how was SHREK a disaster ? It had cheap set and surely didn't have high running costs so surely was successfully financially !

#22 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

View Postmrtheatre123, on 05 July 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

how was SHREK a disaster ? It had cheap set and surely didn't have high running costs so surely was successfully financially !

Didn't recoup!

#23 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

Wow really? That's a suprise I must say!

#24 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

View Postmrtheatre123, on 05 July 2013 - 07:11 PM, said:

Wow really? That's a suprise I must say!

I think they kept in on for two reasons really:
To sell it on to other territories
To keep the theatre for Charlie

#25 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

I'm quite surprised it didn't recoup, actually. When we went to see it in January it was pretty much sold out, actually. Very few seats - there were at least 2 schools though, so I guess they paid significantly less for tickets.
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#26 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:45 PM

If Shrek didn't recoup then that's just shockingly bad business. A show that runs more than 2 years with 8 shows a week should manage it easily - if didnt recoup then before it opened they must have expected it to run for longer, which based on the broadway run wasn't likely. I can't see any musical reaching the stage and not expecting to make a profit with a 2 year run (and I can't imagine many shows open with a view of running as long/longer than 2 years).
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#27 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:55 PM

View PostKevinUK, on 06 July 2013 - 11:45 PM, said:

If Shrek didn't recoup then that's just shockingly bad business. A show that runs more than 2 years with 8 shows a week should manage it easily - if didnt recoup then before it opened they must have expected it to run for longer, which based on the broadway run wasn't likely. I can't see any musical reaching the stage and not expecting to make a profit with a 2 year run (and I can't imagine many shows open with a view of running as long/longer than 2 years).

RoA on Broadway still hasn't recouped despite running more than 4 years. Shrek is a surprise considering it was scaled down from the original Broadway production, I would have it would have recouped by the time it had closed but the UK tour will be successful.

#28 danieldabell

danieldabell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:34 AM

The only way that Shrek wouldn't have recouped is paying the "stars" too much and not giving much better performers the parts! The staging/sets on broadway was phenomenal and epic in scale, but in London it was basically panto sets and flats. This didn't need to be in Drury Lane at all, which I thought it would after seeing it on Broadway. The production should most definitely have recouped and was not expensive to stage as other big west end shows. Visually, the dragon was pretty stunning.

#29 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:42 AM

View Postdanieldabell, on 07 July 2013 - 01:34 AM, said:

The only way that Shrek wouldn't have recouped is paying the "stars" too much and not giving much better performers the parts! The staging/sets on broadway was phenomenal and epic in scale, but in London it was basically panto sets and flats. This didn't need to be in Drury Lane at all, which I thought it would after seeing it on Broadway. The production should most definitely have recouped and was not expensive to stage as other big west end shows. Visually, the dragon was pretty stunning.

The London Production was based on the US tour and I imagine it'll probably look the same when it does tour in the UK,

#30 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:18 AM

View PostKevinUK, on 06 July 2013 - 11:45 PM, said:

If Shrek didn't recoup then that's just shockingly bad business. A show that runs more than 2 years with 8 shows a week should manage it easily

I haven't looked into production costs for quite a while, but I have some figures to hand from a musical in 2000 and the estimates for two different sizes of theatre were:

1300 seats: break even at 36%; recoup in 7 weeks at 80%, 11 weeks at 60%.
990 seats: break even at 52%; recoup in 14 weeks at 80%, 31 weeks at 60%.

If a show can run for a couple of years with good audiences and not recoup then it must have been stupidly expensive to set up, stupidly expensive to run, or both. That seems to be the style these days, with shows actually boasting about how massively costly they are as if it was a sign of quality. If your business plan requires a hundred weeks or more to recoupment and you fail then frankly it bloody serves you right.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users