66 replies to this topic

#41 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

The Audience was strong enough to be recast, but I'm hoping that after a broadway run next year it'll return to the UK in 2015 with Helen and a bit of an update to include commentary on the elections that year and the new heir. Failing that, I'm hoping for a BBC adaptation or a DVD release.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#42 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:03 PM

View PostJamiem, on 07 July 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

Plays never used to be limited runs, look at Boeing Boeing or art, it's only in recent years  the theatre owners, just wanting something in their theatres, whatever it is, paying the rent.
It really did backfire on the audience, who knows Helen mirren might have extended, they might have recast, it could have run for several years but no we got yet another production of private lives

It's good for the West End to have a variety of plays so limited runs are good but clearly if a play is popular then it should have an extended run.

2-3 years is still pretty good for any show, only a handful of shows have runs longer than 5-10 years, its not a bad thing if a show closes as it means a new show can take it place.

#43 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:17 AM

View PostTitan, on 07 July 2013 - 07:32 PM, said:

also musicals always used to have a shorter shelf life, the long runners are really a modern scenario. now a run of 2 years is considered disappointing and of course with elevated costs of producing a musical they often cant turn a profit in two years unless they hit the jackpot of a constant sell out hit

But why are the costs so elevated? Digging out more figures, in 2000 the cost of bringing a new musical to the West End was £800k while in 2010 the cost of importing a show from the US was £2.5m. That's three times as expensive in ten years, during which time prices in general rose by 30%, and in the case of the more recent show it was an existing production so there was less work involved in getting it up and running. Where's all the money going?
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#44 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:53 AM

It's ridiculous
You're right
Compare the production credits between a 2000 programme and one from today
So many more people involved
Compare the production credits from an 1975 programme - it's laughable and yet they still got those big shows on - well

#45 danieldabell

danieldabell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

King Kong thread...?!

#46 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

View Postdanieldabell, on 08 July 2013 - 06:27 PM, said:

King Kong thread...?!

I know I know
He gets everywhere
Damn good discussion tho

#47 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

Well, I suppose if we wante

View Postdanieldabell, on 08 July 2013 - 06:27 PM, said:

King Kong thread...?!

There's not much to discuss unless someone flys over to see it, or a transfer happens.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#48 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

For anyone who's interested, here and article and a clip that appeared in the Sydney Moring Herald

http://www.smh.com.a...0616-2obrb.html
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

#49 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:10 AM

I've a friend who went and say this last night. When I asked him how was it these were his comments "It was ok. It doesn't have the wow factor i was anticipating. I'm not a big fan of the abstract interpretation of the story or of the lighting effects used. Too much reliance on the King Kong puppet to carry the whole show. That said, King Kong is very well done and looks real. The second half of the show based in the city is better presented. It's only showing here in Melbourne and then heads overseas."
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

#50 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1270 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

I don't know any major musical that can possibly recoup in less than 6 months... Normally it's into a shows second year that it can recoup.. Unless its playing to near 100% capacity (like Matilda)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users