66 replies to this topic

#21 Boob

Boob

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:46 AM

Speaking of his treatment of Asian characters, I wonder what he's going to do with Rafta, Rafta... *dreads*

Laughed at the awfulness of the Jeep (and everything else) in Henry V, particularly as it looked like a gratuitous attempt to flaunt a fancy prop which was lying around from Nunn's South Pacific.

#22 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Mar 18 2007, 01:30 PM) View Post
By the way, I suggest you edit your post to remove your sniping about "Peter Hall-style costume theatre" because it makes you sound like an ill-informed callow youth - he championed the early work of Samuel Beckett and Harold Pinter and even now in his (albeit mediocre) new Bath season is presenting his own version of Animal Farm, and two new plays, which do not fall into that category either. You might enjoy "Animal Farm" in fact, as I did 20+ years ago.

Interestingly I am not ignorant of Peter Hall's contribution to post-war theatre. However, in the last few years he has seemed to concentrate on tedious and unimaginative costume dramas of a sort unseen at the NT (with the exception of the recent Voysey Inheritance). But if people like them, that's fine - I wouldn't call for him to be sacked from his post at Bath. And yes, I remember Animal Farm.

#23 ellen

ellen

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:20 AM

nicholas hytner is quite a good producer, but not a good director. and he doesn't have a great eye for new plays - he tends to program on content rather than quality.

#24 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Mar 18 2007, 07:48 AM) View Post
Armadillo: No, I don't think it's at all important to bring in a new audience, the primary purpose of the NT is not social engineering.
You have to be joking, surely? If the RNT and the RSC don't take the lead in bringing a young audience into the theatre who is going to. If all the four signature funding receivers are doing is producing "prestige" productions with names then they have no right to the amount of funding they are getting.

Sebastian

#25 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE(ellen @ Mar 20 2007, 02:20 AM) View Post
nicholas hytner is quite a good producer, but not a good director. and he doesn't have a great eye for new plays - he tends to program on content rather than quality.
Ern not a good director? "The Madness of George III", "Miss Saigon", "Xerxes" and "The Crucible" to name a few. He isn't a producer. He's the Artistic director which is not the same thing.

Sebastian

#26 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE(Tintin @ Mar 18 2007, 08:47 AM) View Post
There may be a flourishing audience for the NT in the future, but I do wonder about theatres outside London. I always enjoy going to the Chichester Festival Theatre, but in recent years have noticed that the majority of the audience are middle-aged and above.
That would be the majority of theatre in the provinces, I'm afraid!  wink.gif

Sebastian

#27 Theatresquirrel

Theatresquirrel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:10 PM

Ah, more theatrebashing and moaning. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm sure the old version of this site wasn't so constantly awash with whinging whinging whinging.

Personally I think saying you don't like what Nick Hytner's done at the NT as Artistic Director is as broad as saying you don't like theatre. Maybe there are some particular things you don't like but whitewashing the lot...? The range of what's occurred there has just been too diverse to castigate in one fell swoop.

There's been lots of talk here about the NT's cheap productions, but my feeling is that the biggest cheapness in all this is the cheap comments being made here.

It's SO easy for us to sit in the facelessness of cyberspace and start specifying what Hytner's NT has lacked, where he's failed, but do we have half a clue? Do any of us know what it's like to run the National Theatre? No, and while this doesn't put us beyond having a view, we ought to try, just vaguely try, and remember the manifold logistics and realities of running a national arts organisation before we get our big fat gleaming knives out.

What's more, how can anyone here pronounce any claim about whether or not the NT has drawn brand new audiences when none of us evidently are in possession of the facts? How can you possibly have an informed opinion on this unless you've seen the figures? And saying 'oh, someone I know who works there had the feeling that they weren't getting many new audiences in' is just blarney.

I guess all I'm saying is by all means criticise but can we please have some more substantiated and defined criticism.

For what it's worth, I've seen some extraordinary things at the NT in the last few years and yes, funnily, I've seen some things I didn't enjoy either. But I thank Nick Hytner wholeheartedly for facilitating every wonderful thing I've seen there. This outshines everything. I am grateful. I am so bl**dy grateful that I was lucky enough in life to go to theatre like this and see things that moved me so much. And beside that, I've noted that each thing I wasn't so fond of, other people have adored. And who am I to deny them that? But then of course the NT isn't just for me, so when the brochure comes through the letterbox and some things don't leap up and start stroking my loins, I don't define this as their failing; I appreciate that this isn't actually what the NT is there to do. There are plenty of other theatresquirrels out there to please as well as me.

Can we just have a smidgen more positivity on this board?

#28 theatregoer

theatregoer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:16 PM

Man of Mode is well directed staged and the acting is top notch.

#29 Job

Job

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE(Theatresquirrel @ Mar 20 2007, 02:10 PM) View Post
Ah, more theatrebashing and moaning. [..]Can we just have a smidgen more positivity on this board?

Anything you say may be taken down and used in evidence, Theatresquirrel. Remember you said that - it may come back to haunt you the next time you express your customarily articulate views about something you haven't liked.

Job
With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

#30 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE(Job @ Mar 20 2007, 02:33 PM) View Post
Anything you say may be taken down and used in evidence, Theatresquirrel. Remember you said that - it may come back to haunt you the next time you express your customarily articulate views about something you haven't liked.

Job
I think what theatresquirrel was complaining about (as was I) was blanket condemnation of something as far reaching and wide ranging as Nick Hytner's regime at the National. It just seems pointless and reductive.

Sebastian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users