45 replies to this topic

#21 jean_hunt

jean_hunt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:37 PM

So glad it's not just me - was beginning to think I was overreacting to perceived perving! Couldn't help but smile at Mr Shenton's cheeky remark recently about Quentin Letts stating an opinion about an actor's physique. I'm pretty sure Shenton himself went just as far (if not further) in a review of The Full Monty (understandable perhaps), and in comparing Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller's, ahem, loincloths in Frankenstein... (not necessary at all)

But back to Sweet Bird of Youth. I wanted to see this as I love Williams and the Old Vic, but the reviews are not exactly spurring me on. Might wait and see if any deals surface...

#22 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1307 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

Are there any offers on this anywhere?

#23 sushisamba

sushisamba

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

Only the Old Vic PWC 'Under 25' scheme front row tickets for £12 as far as I can see.

#24 sushisamba

sushisamba

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:28 PM

Saw it tonight. Was underwhelmed. Seems like two different plays in one, and they don't jell together well. Acting was excellent though.

#25 JAD

JAD

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

View Postsushisamba, on 20 June 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

Saw it tonight. Was underwhelmed. Seems like two different plays in one, and they don't jell together well. Acting was excellent though.

Disappointing. I like TW and was hoping to see this. Not that there will be any ticket availability now.

#26 Coated peanut

Coated peanut

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

View Postsushisamba, on 20 June 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

I couldn't quite put my finger on what made it feel uneven, and two plays in one hits the nail on the head for me. I did like it overall, the acting was good (couple of accents that went all over the place) and each element of the play worked for me, it just didn't gel as much as it could. I think it's worth seeing if you don't expect a masterpiece.

Having been upgraded to a stalls seat in no way impaired my enjoyment of the production either ;)

#27 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:00 AM

A programme note tells us that there are many "versions" of this play with different scenes, different resolutions, different approaches to the material, and that Tennessee Williams was making changes to it even after it had been turned into a movie.  So it's still an unfinished play.  And it shows in some of its creaky plotting and bald exposition.

But still, when the curtain came down 3 hours after it went up I was still riveted and deeply entangled in the lives of Alexandra del Lago and Chance Wayne. A lot of that is due to a truly superb production from Marianne Elliott who has found a through line in the sprawl and makes it resonate in a way that gives an illusion of substance to what is, basically, a melodrama.  She has two pretty good leads as well.

Kim Cattrall starts off a little shakily - as does her character - and I wasn't really buying her as the self-pitying diva but hers is a subtle performance that grows and grows and by the end she was raging, in total command of the stage.  The play ends extremely well, on a dramatic high note, mainly due to Ms Cattrall.  

But the story is really Chance's story, not Alexandra's, and in Seth Numrich we have an actor who absolutely embodies the role.  Channelling his inner and outer (he looks and sounds like him) Paul Newman he has to carry the play through most of its less convincing scenes and carry it he does. A wonderful charismatic performance.

It may not be art but it's a helluva night at the theatre.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#28 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:23 AM

View Postmallardo, on 26 June 2013 - 06:00 AM, said:

And it shows in some of its creaky plotting and bald exposition.

Helluva wig gag.

View Postmallardo, on 26 June 2013 - 06:00 AM, said:

It may not be art but it's a helluva night at the theatre.

... nite at the theater?

#29 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

The wig is from benedorm

#30 Nigel

Nigel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:35 PM

There was a cracking production of this play at the National back in the 90's. Claire Higgins played Alexandra Del Lago.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this revival.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users