47 replies to this topic

#1 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

Has anyone seen this yet? Am going on Wednesday night and have NO idea what to expect. Which is nice.

#2 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

You may not want to read this before you go, but the Whingers have given it a very positive review.

http://westendwhinge...tional-theatre/

#3 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2086 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

So according to the whingers the answer to the key question is 3 hours 25 minutes
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#4 Boob

Boob

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

Not so positive feedback from other audience members if you read the comments below...

And there was me thinking this was Simon Godwin's audition piece to take over the NT...

#5 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

I don't think it's the production but it's a play that hasn't aged well. It's brilliant in places, and from those bits you could have a brilliant standard length play, but there is another hour of not so great bits scattered around. Top marks for central performances though.

#6 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

I run hot and cold with O'Neill anyway. For every Long Day's Journey Into Night and Mourning Becomes Electra, both of which I adored when I saw them, there's an Anna Christie and The Iceman Cometh, both of which make me want to open a vein.

#7 Coated peanut

Coated peanut

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:49 PM

It's ok, though for my taste it could really do with some cutting especially towards the end. I watched the first preview, so some of that might change. Some brilliant scenes, but I was really ready to leave when it finished. The acting was good, which shouldn't come as a surprise with the cast, and I loved the 'inner monologues', but Strange Interlude is unlikely to make it into my list of favourite plays.

I was standing outside during the intermission, and it looked like 10-15 people left during the intermission, which isn't a lot for a theatre that size and the first half was very long. Never noticed how uncomfortable the seats in the Lyttleton can get.

#8 jean_hunt

jean_hunt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:56 PM

I usually blog about my theatre trips but with this one I didn't bother - mainly because I couldn't decide one way or another how I felt about it!

As Poly says above, the play hasn't aged well. I think for me the main problem was that our understanding of mental illness has advanced enough as to make it hard for me to suspend my disbelief sufficiently about certain events in the play.

Also, very few of the characters felt 'real'. (I enjoyed Charles Edwards' performance immensely, but some of the younger actors still have a thing or two to learn about stage presence.)

That said, I felt pretty depressed walking home afterwards, pondering the lost opportunities we have in life, so maybe it had more of an effect on me than I thought!

#9 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

So, there'll be three star reviews all round and a similar conspiracy of silence as with Damned by Despair with none of the critics cracking and admitting they hated it?

#10 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:21 PM

View Postpopcultureboy, on 03 June 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

I run hot and cold with O'Neill anyway. For every Long Day's Journey Into Night and Mourning Becomes Electra, both of which I adored when I saw them, there's an Anna Christie and The Iceman Cometh, both of which make me want to open a vein.
NOOOO! You say wrong, my friend. Iceman is epic. Christie ok depending on who is in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users