47 replies to this topic

#11 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:43 AM

Charles Spencer is going down the full five stars route so not exactly a tepid reaction.

http://www.telegraph...tre-review.html

#12 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3749 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:36 AM

Charlie's getting a bit carried away with these 5*- The Weir, Winslow Boy, Chimerica, now this......

#13 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:32 AM

Also a rave from Quentin Letts in the Mail.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#14 Boob

Boob

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

And Coveney...

#15 Coated peanut

Coated peanut

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

Wouldn't have expected 5 stars all around. Maybe the government needs to start looking at grade inflation weaving its way from the classroom into everyday live.

#16 Snciole

Snciole

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

The best thing or possibly worst thing about the play is the fact that because it was written 1928 you get these odd scenes set in the future where nobody has lost any money (Sam would have lost all his money in the depression and Nina would have definitely left), Ned and Charlie keep going off willy nilly to Europe and Baby Gordon hasn't gone off to war and died like sexy dead boyfriend Gordon.

It feels like a sort of Utopia despite the fact every character is having a horrible time.

#17 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:54 AM

So. I saw it last night. And it's being filed under the "open a vein" category. I couldn't bear the constant asides to the audience, I didn't believe a single word anyone was saying either. Anne Marie Duff is fine, but everyone else is varying degrees of godawful. The scene with 11 year old Gordon smashing up his birthday gift was a particular low point in terms of onstage acting ability. Very nearly left at the interval. I really should have done.

#18 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

The worst part of the evening was when my friend and I looked at my watch at 9:30 and each silently calculated that there was a good 50 minutes to go.  I thought the first half was ok, but the second, not for me.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#19 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

Yep! We did exactly the same thing. That second half was just ghastly. So absolutely preposterous and painfully frantically overdone.

#20 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

Yes and 5 stars from the Daily Telegraph (Charles Spencer). It's a worry. I would rather trust comments from this community board. The number of times I have had "wrist slitting" evenings in the theatre to then read 5 star reviews - it is ridiculous. Is it that the critics don't pay? Is it that they gorge on the free hospitality in the interval or as someone commented recently "are critics on drugs?" LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users