47 replies to this topic

#31 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:13 AM

He's Dick Twist from Miranda. Trended on twitter a few month ago.

#32 Snciole

Snciole

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

Jason Watkins seemed to be in all BBC productions at one point, which put me off him (he seemed to be playing the same character constantly) but this made me warm to him and see he is very good and reliable. He reminds me of Adrian Scarborough, actors that don't always get to show off their range but seem likable and solid actors.

#33 The Glenbuck Laird

The Glenbuck Laird

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

View Postmallardo, on 15 June 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

For three-quarters of its lengthy duration (including the whole First Act) I thought it was a masterpiece.  A couple of dodgy scenes and some severely under-talented supporting actors brought the Second Act slightly down.

Anne-Marie Duff is, to me, the finest actress currently working on the English stage - or any stage - and she was absolutely brilliant as the turbulent and fascinating Nina.  Darren Pettie, Jason Watkins and, especially, Charles Edwards were almost as good as the three persistent men in her life.  The scenes involving these four, which is to say most of the play, were riveting.

I thought that the technique of externalizing thoughts played wonderfully, in part because it was so well executed.  It added a layer of humour I have never before experienced in an O'Neill play.  

Simon Godwin's smart and fluid production worked like a dream and Soutra Gilmore's sets... wow!
I think that WOS board contributors do write very well. The comments on this play alone are of a very high standard. And this is the one that I agree with the most having watched the play yesterday. The remark about the cast - Anne Marie Duff was very good and was very well supported. The comment about the humour - very different for Eugene O'Neill but it worked. One thing I would add is I loved the sets. A very good use of the Lyttleton stage.

#34 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

Just booked this - I agree that Anne Marie Duff is just brilliant, both on screen and stage. This is thankfully aided by her ability to recognise a great script (excluding her return to Shameless of course).
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#35 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

Loved this from a front row day seat for £12! Terrific play - well adapted and edited to 3 hours which flew by. Such a privilege to see actors of this calibre so close you could see Anne Marie Duff's eyes glittering with tears.

The sets were terrific and the attention to detail superb. I lost count of the costume changes as the characters age so well over 30 years or so with great wigs and changing fashions.

I thought it slightly went "off" at the end due to plotting and a couple of weaker performances but this was a minor quibble in an otherwise great evening.

#36 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

Saw this yesterday afternoon.

It's is not the "great American masterpiece" which the NT's season brochure proclaims - the play is sprawling and opens out too much towards the end. But O'Neill's language is rich and varied, and with its constant asides to the audience, it's a fascinating piece to see performed. Especially with a cast as good as this. Anne-Marie Duff is as superb as usual (wig in the final act aside), as are her three men. Charles Edwards gives the best performance I've seen from him, Jason Watkins is a joy to behold, and Darren Pettie is wonderfully suave as her lover.

Dissappointingly, the fourth man (her son, an adult in the later scenes) has little gravitas in Wilf Scolding's portrayal, and his fiance ain't brilliant either, which lets the final two scenes (the weakest in terms of writing, too) down a bit.

Soutra Gilmour's design is indeed impressive - though was a bit OTT for me - and Simon Godwin's production is very well paced. Certainly doesn't feel like over 3hrs.

#37 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:22 AM

I saw this this week, and just loved it. I didn't like the first 30 minutes or so, but once she was married I got into it a lot more. Anne Marie was just brilliant as usual. I was looking forward to a reveal towards the end, but found it much more satisfying when I discovered it wasn't coming.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#38 VDCNI

VDCNI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

I can't decide about this - certainly well performed, by the main cast anyway, but it never quite took off for me. I wasn't a massive fan of the asides, sometimes they worked but other times they just stated the obvious or undercut the drama between the characters. That said the 3+ hours moved at a reasonable pace and a extra vodka nummed the pain of the Lyttleton seats though a few didn't come back after the interval.

After 3 average plays in a row hopefully Anne Marie Duff choses a truly great play for her next London appearance since she is doing Lady Macbeth which I would love to see in New York.

#39 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1234 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

View PostVDCNI, on 25 July 2013 - 09:01 AM, said:

After 3 average plays in a row hopefully Anne Marie Duff choses a truly great play for her next London appearance since she is doing Lady Macbeth which I would love to see in New York.
I'd missed that news - with Ethan Hawke - I'd love to see that too. Some enterprising venue should try to arrange a London transfer for few weeks.

#40 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

I'd have loved to see her Lady Macbeth opposite her husband.  Ethan Hawke is a giant step down.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users