• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Ajl

Ajl

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:50 AM

After discussing the Charlie and the Chocolate factory set on another thread, just wondering if people have a favourite set that they have seen? What's the most visually stunning/intricate/technically challenging set you have come across?

#2 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

The original production(s) of Sunset Boulevard were amazing.  And Sister Act at the Palladium was a set that kept on giving!

#3 Ajl

Ajl

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

I'm gutted I didn't ever get to see Sister Act at the Palladium - only ever managed to see the touring version. One set I've always loved is the Oliver! one. First London musical I saw and then again at Drury Lane. Loved the depth to it - always seemed to be moving. Got to give credit to the house in Mary Poppins as well, although the rest of it left me a bit unimpressed.

#4 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:12 AM

Mine is either Wicked, The Wizard Of Oz or The Lord Of The Rings

#5 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

I would agree that the Oliver set is probably the most impressive I've seen.  His Dark Materials at the National about ten years ago also had a massive amount going on.  Witches of Eastwick too.

Strangely enough, the most special times I've had in the theatre (that wonderful feeling of being emotionally overwhelmed) have often had sets that don't bring attention to themselves.
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#6 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

Lord of the Rings. I thought the whole set / staging was wonderful.

#7 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

Good topic!

Olivier was very impressive as it kept moving but I much prefer something like Wicked as it’s themed, fits together all very nicely and is all a bit low key for a block busting musical.

With the exception of Chorus Line, I find Robin Wager really boring. When the set totally changes for every scene it’s neither here nor there and more like a realistic TV studio.
Tim Hatley is generally very good. Spamalot was great fun, but his work on a budget in opera and ballet I found much more rewarding.

Timothy Bird and David Farley created wonders with Sunday in the Park with George but since then Farley’s work I’ve found to be overdesigned and what showed great promise is all a bit dull. I think my all-time favourite work is David Gallo’s designs for Company http://www.davidgallo.com/ such simplicity and beauty.

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#8 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:57 PM

View PostReich, on 05 June 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

. I think my all-time favourite work is David Gallo’s designs for Company http://www.davidgallo.com/ such simplicity and beauty.

Gallo’s work on Mille was also excellent, such beautiful colours …

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#9 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

Lord of the Rings was a really stunning set. Didnt enjoy the show (like the pre show bit with the hobbits) but the set was amazing.

I also loved the Phantom set in las vegas the way the whole auditorium was custom for the production.
http://static.npaper...52f0466f906.jpg

On a much, much smaller scale the set for The River was brilliant, in the small space you felt like you were sat in the kitchen whilst fish was being cooked for you.

#10 Carlos

Carlos

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

View PostSteve10086, on 05 June 2013 - 09:02 AM, said:

The original production(s) of Sunset Boulevard were amazing.

When I saw Sunset Boulevard on Broadway, the audience actually applauded when Nora Desmond's mansion descended onto the stage. I remember I smiled at the time. I never witnessed anything like that ever since.

My own personal favourite, though, was the set of All's Well that Ends Well, directed by Marianne Elliott, at the National. I think it was one of the most dazzling, magical things I've ever seen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users