#11 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:47 PM

I second Oliver! and Mary Poppins

Weird choices here but Avenue Q, The Phantom of the Opera (new UK Tour) and Sweeney Todd (Chichester)

http://www.whatsonst...yTodd_CFT_2.jpg

#12 Ajl

Ajl

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:47 PM

His Dark Materials is one I'd have loved to have seen. That reminds me, another to add to my list is the factory in Major Barbara at the National. Loved to see the slow decent of the weaponry and nice to see the whole stage used like that. Lord of the Rings was another great one but I'd have like to have seen a few locations created not using drapes etc

#13 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

Also to add to my list: both the Menier Chocolate Factory and Birmingham REP (Sep 2010) productions of Little Shop of Horrors. The Chocolate Factory's for the intimacy, but the REP's for the largeness and B-Movie styled dark colours (and the dentist on a giant tongue that licks the front of the stage!) I hope the REP's production is revived but highly unlikely as the plants are up for hire.

#14 Ajl

Ajl

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:17 PM

Oh and pretty much anything Christopher Oram touches!

#15 Carlos

Carlos

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

View PostAjl, on 05 June 2013 - 06:17 PM, said:

Oh and pretty much anything Christopher Oram touches!

And Bob Crowley.

#16 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3399 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:42 AM

a streetcar named desire at the donmar a few years back was beautiful

the lion king
lord of the rings
phantom.of the opera, although dated and tired the set is still very clever and just needs a little updating
miss saigon original production
oliver
beauty and the beast original london production

#17 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:01 AM

One set that sticks in my memory was the one from Trevor Nunn's production of Pinter's "Betrayal" which was, in the manner of Rachel Whiteread's "House", the cast of a room. That's the sort of smart-alec illumination of the text of a play I like.

#18 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

The Persians (National Theatre Wales production, directed by Mike Pearson, conceptual design by Mike Brookes, designed by Simon Banham) was staged in a house without external walls (constructed by the UK army for use in training assessments) in an outdoor Brecon Beacons setting which extended for miles into the distant landscape in every visible direction. There was live video projection throughout, including coverage of scenes staged behind internal walls and so hidden from the live audience. You'd never achieve that design in the NT Lyttelton!

Es Devlin designed the set of Epicoene's recollection, which bodes well for I Can't Sing! The X Factor Musical.

#19 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

Oh yes, mustn't forget the Chocolate Factory Little Shop, as mentioned above.  That was excellent.

Then, of course, there's the NT's An Inspector Calls.  The collapsing house has certainly done the rounds over the years.
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#20 stitcher

stitcher

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

As a student, I remember being blown away by the ENO Mikado set about 20 years ago (yes, the one they're still wheeling out now), and the NT Wind in the Willows.  There was a very delicate and beautiful Paul Brown set for a Japanese production of Hamlet at Sadler's Wells - a marquetry box which folded out into different tableaux.  Bunny Christie's modern-day-port for Women of Troy for the National was monumental, and it helped tell the story beautifully.  Peter McKintosh's conservatory for The Chalk Garden at the Donmar was another of my favourites.

I can also name my most hated set, but that may be for a separate thread ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users