39 replies to this topic

#31 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:45 AM

For plays I think the Donmar sets are brilliant, espesh the lighting. Another small stage , the Almeida, offered amazing set for The Tempest they did before the refurb. They had water which was  deep enough to dive into. It was very well done.

#32 Emsworthian

Emsworthian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:13 AM

I saw Oliver! in the 60s (I really am that old) and loved the Sean Kenny set.  Was the Palladium set people have mentioned the same? I really loved Anthony Ward's designs for "She Loves Me" at Chichester. I remember in the 70s going to see a Franco Zeffirelli  production of "Rigoletto" and the sets were absolutely stunning; when the curtain went up, it was like looking at a Renaissance masterpiece.  Unfortunately, the designs were so intricate, that there were two 40 minute intervals for set changes.  It was one of those evenings that I thought would never end.

#33 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

Miss Saigon original London production, Oliver and I loved Anything Goes which I think was at The Prince of Wales (cant recall; it's my age)
More recently Phantom touring production and I loved The Pajama Game at Chichester recently

#34 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

Without a doubt, the David Fielding (I hope) set for English National Opera's Xerxes - so beautiful and elegant and witty. And the Maria Bjornson Cunning Little Vixen and the national's Wind in the willows and The Shaughran.

#35 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

I think I should have mentioned the recent Charing Cross production of Dear World. The whole tweeness and shabby chic feel to it was so sweet; the cafe and cobbles, the dusty ornate stairs and faded furniture all seemed spot on.

#36 Halpster

Halpster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:35 PM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 11 June 2013 - 12:16 AM, said:

City of Angels was at the Prince of Wales.

Thanks Mr Barnaby was getting confused ...probably because I love "time" when i saw it at the Prince Edward :-)

#37 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

Mary Poppins was extremely impressive as was Oliver!
I liked the set for All My Sons a couple of years ago and I often like Lez Brotherston's sets - Long Day's Journey into Night and Hedda Gabler both evoked a sense of entrapment and claustrophobia in different ways I thought.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#38 JD094

JD094

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

Agree with all those saying Oliver. The Sound of Music was cleverly done too and although I never saw it, I concur with those saying Lord of the Rings, I watched a tour video from that a while back and was flabbergasted. More recently, the video screens, walls and illusions of Ghost all added to the spectacle of that piece very well too.

Also, Jersey Boys gets occasional stick for not having an expansive set but I feel it is intelligently staged. Works on the premise that less can sometimes be more.
WEST END SHOWS:
2009: The Sound of Music - Oliver!
2010: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables
2011: Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical
2012: Ghost the Musical - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Shrek the Musical - Wicked
2013: Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Matilda - The Phantom of the Opera - Viva Forever! - Wicked
2014: Jersey Boys - Les Miserables - Once - The Phantom of the Opera - Wicked

#39 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:27 PM

Design For Living - The Old Vic
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#40 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1214 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:31 AM

Love a nice set and so many to choose from, although the best sets should add to the show not upstage it!

The NT usually do great sets. Wind in the Willows was a highlight showing off that drum revolve to great effect.

Musicals - Miss Saigon at Drury Lane, Oliver at the Palladium, Martin Guerre at the Prince Edward, Sunset Boulevard at the Adelphi. The staging of Starlight Express at the Victoria Apollo was amazing.

Plays - too many to mention, but a few examples are the recent Hedda Gabler and Sweet Bird of Youth at the Old Vic. Noises Off (everywhere). An Inspector Calls. Deathtrap (Noel Coward).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users