24 replies to this topic

#21 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:02 AM

Whoever said this has no character development clearly saw a different play to that which I saw.  A couple of days later now I feel a bit less jubilant but this was semi-transcendent theatre.  Though any criticisms of Baldwin’s play are fairly fair, I loved the almost Greek tragedy nature to this – the revelation after revelation in such a short timespan, family relationships moving as they were moving and quick changes in relationships and status felt semi-Aristotlean and in a good way.  Any play with gospel music interludes gets my vote, or at least any play with gospel music interludes as well placed as these does - that act II opening was goosebump material.  Performances, goes without saying by now - has anyone not been highlighted by someone? - but were I a betting man I'd say that Marianne Jean-Baptiste is at least going to be on the final four if not holding a statue at next year’s Oliviers, and quite deservedly.

#22 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:10 PM

One of the best things on at the moment and something the national should be doing

#23 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

Finally caught up with this: as a play I felt it could have been tighter but then maybe I am falling for the chip chop modern style of today. I like that it is unsentimental. In fact the lady next to me engaged me in quite a discussion about the ending - what did it mean? what did I think? She was disturbed by it.
Some people were laughing uproariously as the guy was dying - embarassment maybe as it was right in front of them. Standing ovation at the end.
I loved the singing of course. Acting superb - isn't Lucian Msamati just the cat's whiskers? Fab actor. No complaints...cept they've stopped making the fish cakes in the cafe.

Mobile phone 2x in very quiet part, the mother /son thing near the end. Why don't they say something after the interval , in the foyer say?

#24 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:45 PM

Thoroughly enjoyed this on Monday night. A great ensemble piece with brilliant performances (special mention to Cecilia Noble who slowly went from comedic to maleficent). Loved the music too, really filled the Olivier in a way I haven't experienced before.

View PostNicholas, on 30 July 2013 - 12:02 AM, said:

Were I a betting man I'd say that Marianne Jean-Baptiste is at least going to be on the final four if not holding a statue at next year’s Oliviers, and quite deservedly.
Agreed.
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#25 rain0000

rain0000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:25 AM

Marianne Jean-Baptiste really should win the Olivier for this, she was amazing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users