24 replies to this topic

#11 Halpster

Halpster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

Well deserved....really enjoyed this and was totally taken in. Great ensemble work excellent setting and stunning vocals. Central lead performances were stunning especially Marianne Jean Baptiste and Sharon D Clarke.

Had amazing seats for £12.00 we are truly lucky to have the National produce such high calibre work !

#12 Halpster

Halpster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

Telegraph
http://www.telegraph...tre-review.html

Independant
http://www.independe...on-8655069.html

Daily Mail
http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml

#13 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

I can't think of anything I've encountered in recent seasons that I've liked more or been more affected by than this.  Absolute perfection in every department.  A wonderful, powerful play, a stunning production from Rufus Norris, and a flawless cast.  

Since the leading ladies have been rightly praised by others let me put in a word for Lucian Msamati (fondly remembered from Clybourne Park) as Margaret's wayward husband, Luke, and, especially, for young Eric Kofi Abrefa as her tormented son, David - this kid is going to be  a star.  

If there ever was a must-see it's this one.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#14 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:PJ and Duncan

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:56 PM

Felt completely underwhelmed after today's matinee. I really wanted to love it but was left cold. THERE WAS NO CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT/PLOT AT ALL. Other than the actors playing the father and son, I felt everyone involved were one dimensionable.

ALSO-

I understand in their brochure they may get the running time wrong but on the website?!? 30 mins difference!!! I was 15mins late for a date!!!

#15 LDM2013

LDM2013

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:03 AM

Not as good as I hoped it would be.

#16 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:50 AM

No character development?  The four leading characters transform completely in the course of the show, not only in who we think they are but in who they are to themselves. Please find a better reason to dislike the piece.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#17 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:33 AM

I loved this also and was left really moved. I thought the character exploration/development was actually the key part of this. We see not only the central character develop from start to finish of the play but also get a great deal of insight into how she was prior to meeting her (keeping in vague for those who haven't seen yet) among the other central characters we get clear development and change, and all the 'supporting' characters are well developed and have strong story arcs.

I can see how maybe it wouldn't be everyone's 'cup of tea' but character development/story arc shouldn't be one of them.
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#18 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:PJ and Duncan

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

No tap dancing elves?

#19 Lady Nijo

Lady Nijo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:14 AM

One of the best productions I've seen this year. Marianne Jean Baptiste blew me away. The final scene between her and Lucian Msamati - so intense. Had to go and watch Secrets and Lies afterwards. And the actress playing Sister Moore. What a comedienne!!

#20 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

It's very impressive, certainly. Rufus Norris' production is superb, seamlessly blending the spoken word with the thrilling gospel music. It's a small, intimate play, and it takes some skill to not make it feel lost on the Olivier stage.

That said, I was never entirely convinced by the play itself 'til the final few moments when it finally won me over. It's laughable to suggest there's no character development - there is, there are some v well written parts in there - but there was something missing which I still can't put my finger on.

Cracking performances throughout. I was especially taken by Sharon D Clarke, and Dovonan F Blackwood in the smaller part of Brother Boxer. And yes, Marianne Jean Baptiste is excellent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users