9 replies to this topic

#1 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3376 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:26 AM

Adam Pascal posted the following on his Facebook page in response to a negative review on a theatre forum (it was critical but nothing extreme)

'So, I need to get this off my chest. I have said before how I hate these Broadwayworld chat boards, but yet I occasionally take a look, only to get burned every time by some hater. Well, last night I went up on my lines during one of my #'s in Chicago. It happens... Well, wouldn't you know it, one of these chatroom bullies happened to be in the audience and was obviously frothing at the mouth to get home and blast away at me. "I cant remember lines", I'm not professional", "they feel bad for me"..blah blah blah.
Now, I am aware that because of what I do, I am a target for all sorts of judgment and criticism. I accept that. But for all the people who sit at home and use their words anonymously as tools to make others feel bad, so they can feel good, you will never feel good. Real happiness comes from within. As I learn this myself, I can tell you that with every drop of vitriol that comes from your lips, you are poisoning your own soul. I will sit here for an hour, be annoyed at what you said, do some deep breathing and then let it go. You, will undoubtedly stew in your own unhappiness and dissatisfaction with life, pick your next target, sit in the dark in the balcony, as you did with me and wait for them to make a mistake so you can once again, hide anonymously in front of your computer screen and say "Ha! see everyone..see, they're no good, they're not deserving of success, they're phonies".
The truth is, you could never in a million years do what it is we do 8 times a week. You would step out on stage and piss your pants. So Please hater, don't feel bad for me as you said you do. You need to feel bad for yourself for being the kind of person who gets off on trying hurt others.
Finally, to all my fans who will read this, please don't comment with defending me. I'm not looking for compliments or "yeah you tell em Adam". Just try and remember the sentiment, next time you want to use your computer as an outlet for bullying..'

Adam also later posted in reply to some comments
  • Adam Pascal Hey Adam Goldberg you shit head, bullying is anything that makes someone feel bad, i was a fat kid who was bullied in school..last to be picked for the team...made fun of etc. i dont need you posting your websters dictionary definition. its my definition that counts, its my page! you can suck it asshole...you came here to tell me what i should and should not feel. ok lets not call it bullying then, lets just call it a douchebag in the audience. something you are anytime you step foot in a theater.
    2 hours ago · Like · 2
  • Posted Image

Adam Pascal and dont try and reverse what i said to you as bullying..you came here to my page and opened yourself up to it.
    2 hours ago · Like

The whole thread can be found here.  What are peoples thoughts on this.

https://www.facebook...?ref=ts&fref=ts

Personally Im sick of people playing the bullying card when people dare to criticise their performance and I have lost all respect for him now.  Sad really

#2 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

I read the original comment and it wasnt even very critical...Saying that he'd messed up but not saying that he was that bad! Adam Pascal has seriously overreacted!!

View PostTitan, on 06 June 2013 - 10:26 AM, said:

Adam Pascal Hey Adam Goldberg you shit head, bullying is anything that makes someone feel bad, i was a fat kid who was bullied in school..last to be picked for the team...made fun of etc. i dont need you posting your websters dictionary definition. its my definition that counts, its my page! you can suck it asshole...you came here to tell me what i should and should not feel. ok lets not call it bullying then, lets just call it a douchebag in the audience. something you are anytime you step foot in a theater.
This is ridiculously rude towards Adam Goldberg...completely uncalled for! Also he (Adam Pascal) went to the Broadwayworld forum in the first place...he wouldnt have read negative things about himself if he hadnt! So he cant criticise Adam Goldberg for 'opening himself up' to criticism...

#3 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:44 AM

Thing is, when we like something, we tend to praise it and encourage others to book and go.

I'm really sick of performers who feel the need to berate the ticket buying public.

#4 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

Oh, please, he's a human being, he has bad days too.  Have you never gone off?  I'm sure he regrets it already.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#5 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:22 PM

Oh, please, he's American. Self-pitying bullying is only to be expected.

#6 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3376 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:56 PM

West End actors have done the same before, not just an American trait

#7 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:55 PM

The truth is, you could never in a million years do what it is we do 8 times a week.

I hate that attitude. To start with, it's only acting. It doesn't make massive intellectual demands. It doesn't carry huge levels of responsibility. It's one of the few jobs around where you can totally screw up and it doesn't matter in the slightest. It's not like it's a supremely difficult and challenging job that only a select few can handle. The danger of taking the "you couldn't do it" line is that there are more than a few people out there who could truthfully respond with "actually, I could".

But more than that, the point here is that the audience member isn't being paid to do the job and the actor is. When it's your job to do something it's implied that you're presenting yourself as being able to do it. I'm crap at wallpapering, but if I engage someone to put up wallpaper for me I expect them to be damned good at it and I have a right to comment if they aren't. The issue isn't that I can't do any better. It's that they can't.

(Not that I have a problem with people forgetting their lines from time to time. Memory failures happen to everyone. It's the "I'm too awesome for the likes of you to criticise" attitude that bugs me.)
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#8 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

I think of this board as like conversation, and if I'd say something mean about a show to someone over a coffee afterwards I'll say it here.  I don't criticise to impress, I do so because I'm not a very good liar and it's conversation.  I don't post criticism to feel good about myself; when I do post criticism I feel bad that I need to.  I'm not a professional but I like going to the theatre (unless I'm horribly ill, thus an empty seat in Stratford right now) and talking about it.  Nothing makes me happier on this board than posting "I thought it was tripe" and having someone articulately defend it, or vice versa.  The Seagull board was great conversation.

But for all the people who sit at home and use their words anonymously as tools to make others feel bad, so they can feel good, you will never feel good. Real happiness comes from within. As I learn this myself, I can tell you that with every drop of vitriol that comes from your lips, you are poisoning your own soul. I will sit here for an hour, be annoyed at what you said, do some deep breathing and then let it go. You, will undoubtedly stew in your own unhappiness and dissatisfaction with life, pick your next target, sit in the dark in the balcony, as you did with me and wait for them to make a mistake so you can once again, hide anonymously in front of your computer screen and say "Ha! see everyone..see, they're no good, they're not deserving of success, they're phonies".
Yeah…  Sorry to say, my life doesn’t revolve around this board.  I live a life, go to the theatre when I can and if I have something to add I’ll say it, positive or negative.  I don’t criticise to make my little life feel better, I do so to either stop someone with similar tastes seeing something duff or start conversation.  Someone who does a bad job isn't a phony, they're struggling in a role.  And heaven knows I don't go to the theatre to impress strangers online with vitriol, I do so to impress myself and articulately chatting about it with articulate strangers is a lovely extra.  And for the most part I'm happy and satisfied with life (there's time for it to go downhill), and criticism if anything makes me unhappy.  When I say someone's not good I don't do it to make them feel bad, it's conversation.  Have I made that clear yet?

The truth is, you could never in a million years do what it is we do 8 times a week. You would step out on stage and piss your pants. So Please hater, don't feel bad for me as you said you do. You need to feel bad for yourself for being the kind of person who gets off on trying hurt others.
Did he say he could?  When whoever it was pointed out SRB's fluff did they say "And you know what, I could outact Russell Beale"?  He just pointed it out.  Especially given how expensive Broadway is, pointing out something substandard is fair enough.  I couldn't act in the theatre, but I'd be better at that than I'd be as a professional chef, churning out how many meals quickly and to a high standard, but I'd tell people not to go to a restaurant if I didn't think it was worth it.

If the 'critic' in question only posts for the sake of insulting, that's one thing and I retract everything I've said.  If not, this is just licking wounds.  If I see something soon where someone slips up and mentions it I'm just reporting it, and were I on the end of this...  Actually, Adam Pascal's personally insulted a stranger by saying he's a dissatisfied unhappy troglodite whilst the 'critic' simply said "I paid good money for a show and found it, personally, substandard" with nary a hint of a personal attack.  If we're not allowed to say anything but positives, why bother with these boards?

#9 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

The main focus of the original thread was that the ensemble were tired and the show was sloppy, and he merely said that a line flub added to the messiness of the show, so it was a massive over reaction, and to me it says more about his massive self importance that he ranted about a reviewer who said that he was 'fine and enjoyable' but negated to defend his cast mates who the poster thought should 'be fired and made to reaudition for their roles'! I have lost any respect I had for him as a person over this matter, and for the record, the 'critic in question' is nice and posts sensible observations about shows he has seen giving fair review, rather than dripping vitriol from their lips!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#10 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

I doubt he reads West End forums as well as Broadway ones but if he did I'm sure we'd be commented on next in his nice understanding manner...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users