60 replies to this topic

#1 mystifyre

mystifyre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

I saw this topic on a different forum a while back and was just interested to hear everyone's views on it here. What does everyone think about "stage dooring"?

I know there are plenty of people who enjoy going to the stage door after a show to meet and greet the actors, have merchandise signed and have their photos taken with the cast. But there are also people who frown upon it and think "these actors are complete strangers to you and I, why would you want to invade their privacy and get your photo taken with them?".

Personally, I only go to the stage door to meet specific cast members who have particularly moved or "wowed" me with their performance or because they are my favourite actor. I have only done it on two occasions. I don't see anything wrong with it so long as people respect the actors involved and understand that they may not want their photo taken or are sometimes in a rush to be elsewhere after the show. I see it as a priveledge; these actors don't have to stop and take the time to speak to individuals but they do and I think that's really nice of them and shows they appreciate the support.

#2 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

I've never actually been to the stage door, mostly because the people I'm with don't want to or I have to rush off, but I have wanted to on several occasions. I dont think there's anything wrong with it - if the actor doesn't want it they can just say no (or are some people really persistant at the stage door and wont accept no as an answer?), and surely most actors like meeting their fans and hearing praise of their performances!!

#3 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

I've only been to the stage door once, after a Legally Blonde preview, but there was a sign there which said "Get autographs from the cast! WAIT HERE". So we waited.  Other than that, I've never waited. I wanted to go to the stage door after seeing Tam Mutu in Love Never Dies as his performance just blew me away, but it was freezing cold., so decided against it. If a performer really blows me away, I'll probably wait. I will 100% go to the stage door when Anton Zetterholm takes over as Enjorlas in Les Mis!

Personally, I'm all for people waiting at the stage door. I know some actors appreciate it a lot, but equally I can imagine it gets annoying when you've had a bad day.
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#4 NickP

NickP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

I think it's great fun! You do have to appreciate that the actors do not owe you anything and therefore even an autograph or a photo is, for me, really generous of them. You do get some people that don't see it that way and get angry. But most people are lovely! Over the last year I've been lucky enough to meet Eileen Atkins, Judi Dench, Billie Piper, Ben Whishaw and Michael Gambon after their respective shows - all very good experiences and they all appreciated my praise for their performances.

#5 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:17 PM

I've been to several stage doors, one accidentally - the stage door at Once on Broadway is right next to the main theatre entrance and they put barriers up (rather like the Apollo Victoria only even closer to the main doors) and I literally stumbled across it.  It seems to be a more organised thing there, all the cast came out with Sharpies out ready to sign, and they were generally lovely, especially Cristin Millioti who I got a photo with.  :)

I've only ever done it in the West End for Wicked a couple of times, and at a couple of dance shows.

I don't see a problem with it as long as those going to the stage door know how to behave.  I would never bother anyone who was rushing away, actors often have to run for trains etc!  And I also don't monopolise anyone's time, or ask personal questions or anything like that, and it annoys me when people do that.  An autograph, occasionally a picture, but most importantly of all to say thank you for the performance and how much I enjoyed it, that's all I do.

If the actors are happy to stop, then I'm happy to go and thank them.  If they don't want to stop, then I don't feel like they have any obligation to, and I wouldn't judge them for it - their job is onstage.  I do appreciate getting to thank and talk to performers I've been particularly impressed by though, but I certainly don't think I'm entitled to it.

Two things really annoy me about stage doors though: professional autograph hunters and fangirls.  The former I've encountered at a few dance shows and at Wicked, and I find it really distasteful.

The fangirls are the worst though - stupid teenagers who think they are more important than everyone else, that they have some special entitlement to meet the performer and spend loads of time with them, that they're bigger fans than everyone else.  All they are in reality is a nuisance.  The Royal Albert Hall at Kerry Ellis's concert a couple of years ago was the worst - a group of teenagers crowded the stage door, pushing forward and making it incredibly claustrophobic.  But even worse was their lack of respect for all the other performers - they crowded so close to the door that no-one could get out without having to push through, and they refused to make space to let the performers through in case people stole their spot right at the stage door.  The amount of pushing and shoving was frightening, so I left, but not before I heard them talking loudly about how they'd missed the last bus home and they'd get in trouble but they didn't care, they'd stay all night if they had to...

Sometimes organised signings work well too - I saw Idina Menzel in Edinburgh a few months back and the audience were asked to form a queue round the inside of the building if they wanted an autograph, and Idina then walked down the line chatting to and signing for every single person who'd stayed (easily 200 people or more), which was lovely :)

#6 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

I did it a fair bit when I was a teenager. I think it was less popular in London then but quite an established 'thing' in New York. I don't see anything wrong with it, it's fun particularly when you're younger to meet actors you greatly admire and actually I have fond memories of meeting lesser known actors who were really pleased to have someone come and compliment their performance.

I don't do it anymore really, mainly because I'm either rushing away or I just feel slightly awkward now I'm older (that's not to say it isn't ok for older people, I just personally don't like it as much anymore) I've also been put off by other people at stage doors, not just teenage fangirls (who are incredibly annoying!) but also a certain breed of middle aged ladies...the kind that attend Michael Ball or Alfie Boe concerts shall we say....
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#7 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

Yes, I too, did it when I was younger but don't anymore. I am too shy and cannot find anything to say to performers that isn't really naff!

#8 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

I do at times go to SD mainly if there is a performer I really admire but also if I'm with my children.  I'm not sure I've ever promoted my blog on here but I wrote a piece a few months ago about "Crossing the Twitter Line". Although predominately about how Twitter gives people a false sense of ownership of an actor and how it influences SD behaviour, there are a couple of interesting comments regarding SD too.  Here is my blog link http://afewcasualtho....wordpress.com/
This caused a lot of vitriol towards me on Twitter; interestingly by some people who are exactly as I described in my blog.
Moderators feel free to remove if I'm not supposed to do this :)

#9 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

Great post craftymiss! Completely agree with what you've written.

I tried to set up a "Stage Door Etiquette" last year. Just my personal opinion of how fans should behave at stage door but feel free to have a look: http://confessionsof...ge-door-no-nos/

#10 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

Yes - a great post craftymiss.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users