60 replies to this topic

#11 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

Only if it was someone I went to school/went to university/did amdram with.
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#12 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

Does anyone go to stage doors for plays? I occasionally see the line of professional autograph hunters who gather whenever someone sci fi is in a play but do people like SRB or Roger Allam have to deal with adoring fans?

#13 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:28 PM

I SD after Peter and Alice because the performances were fabulous. Dame Judy didnt come out but I spoke to Ben Wishaw, who was generous with his time with fans

#14 Tettekete

Tettekete

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and travel

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

I've stagedoored several times for Wicked in London and the Netherlands (the latter three times, as I flew there specially to see Willemijn Verkaik who is lovely with her fans). I think stagedooring is fine, so long as the fans don't cross over into "insane fangirl/fanboy" territory.
Seen (theatre): Once (London x 2), Wicked (Scheveningen, The Netherlands x6), Wicked (London x 22), We Will Rock You (London x3), Les Miserables (London x 1), The Phantom of the Opera (London x1), Rock of Ages (London x 1), Romeo et Juliette (Takarazuka Revue, Japan x 5), Studio54 (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), For Whom The Bell Tolls (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), Nova Bossa Nova/Meguriai wa Futatabi (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x2), Nijinsky (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x3), 9 to 5: The Musical (UK Tour, Sunderland x1), RENT in Concert (Newcastle x1), Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour, Sunderland x 1)

Seen (concerts, etc): Willemijn Verkaik "As I Am" solo concert at the AFAS Circustheater (2012), West End Eurovision 2013, Rachel Tucker at the St James Theatre studio, Scott Alan at the O2, Andrew Lippa at the St James Theatre

#15 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:23 AM

View Postarmadillo, on 12 June 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

Does anyone go to stage doors for plays? I occasionally see the line of professional autograph hunters who gather whenever someone sci fi is in a play but do people like SRB or Roger Allam have to deal with adoring fans?
I sometimes do when someone I've always wanted to meet is in it. I went to stage door after Peter and Alice as I have always admired Ben Whishaw as an actor. A few years ago I met Orlando Bloom several times when he was in In Celebration and he was always nice and happy to have a quick chat.
In New York I went to stage door to meet Daniel Craig and Hugh Jackman (who where both lovely).

#16 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:10 AM

View PostSteffi, on 13 June 2013 - 06:23 AM, said:

I sometimes do when someone I've always wanted to meet is in it. I went to stage door after Peter and Alice as I have always admired Ben Whishaw as an actor. A few years ago I met Orlando Bloom several times when he was in In Celebration and he was always nice and happy to have a quick chat.
In New York I went to stage door to meet Daniel Craig and Hugh Jackman (who where both lovely).
  I walked past the stage door of In Celebration once and it looked like a riot was happening. You really had a 'quick chat' with him? I'm impressed you managed to struggle through the throng.

#17 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

View Postarmadillo, on 13 June 2013 - 07:10 AM, said:

I walked past the stage door of In Celebration once and it looked like a riot was happening. You really had a 'quick chat' with him? I'm impressed you managed to struggle through the throng.
I always went before the show (and with always I mean all three times I stage doored the play). There were around 20 people waiting and he was generous with his time. I agree it was complete madness after the performances.

It was the same at A Steady Rain on Broadway. 300+ people waiting afterwards. I stopped by before a matinee one day and there were 10 people waiting. Hugh Jackman was happy to chat to everyone waiting and have pictures taken. And I loved that he had no driver but actually walked to the theatre - backpack on his shoulder, coffee in hand. :)

#18 bex1210

bex1210

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

I f I go see a show and there's an actor that I really like or their performance inspires me, I like meeting them at the stage door. Can't stand the shoving that happens if it gets really busy though, it's silly. I once waited outside the Les Mis door to meet Sam Barks and the girls pushing to get to her was ridiculous.

People can also be really rude, both to other fans and the actors. A few times when I've waited, actors have been going to get food inbetween a matinee and evening performance. They'll sign stuff for as long as they can but the guys have got to eat and some people are so rude, chasing them down the street or demanding photos and autographs.

#19 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

You should never go to the stage door. Ever. Unless (as we learned from Rupert Everett's autobiog) you want to have sex with the leading actor. On a related topic, there is a piece in Standpoint magazine this week (I bet no-one here has even heard of it) saying that you should only be concerned with an artist's work and actively avoid trying to find out about them as a person, and I tend to agree - I mean does it add to our understanding of Richard Eyre's work as a director to know that he suffered badly from piles when he was NT Director ? On reflection maybe the answer to that one is "yes".

#20 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2530 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:15 PM

Right, I'd never heard of Standpoint. Browsing now online, it does seem remarkably defensive and self-consciously marginalised. Could you please link here to the piece you mention? I'm intrigued to discover what type of person has expressed such an opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users