60 replies to this topic

#31 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:51 PM

I think it's an interesting aspect that in addition to Stage Dooring some 'fans' seem to think constant twitter hounding is ok. I've got an acquaintance who frequently tweets West End/Broadway performers (as in almost daily) there's also a strange kind of fan 'ownership' that comes with frequent stage dooring/general following of a performer, I remember going quite innocently to a Michael Ball concert a few years ago and feeling like because I wasn't one of 'them' ie the fans who followed and 'met' him at every venue, that I somehow didn't have right to be at the concert (I didn't and had no intention of stage dooring...having no desire to meet the man...sorry Mr Ball!) And that was just to watch the show-I dread to think what it's like at such stage doors!

Sorry bit of a tangent there!
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#32 mystifyre

mystifyre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

Steffi, you made some really good etiquette points that I think are important to remember and abide by when visiting the stage door.

As for speaking to actors when passing on the street, it's a no. It's an invasion of privacy. I recall Rachel Tucker remarking a while back how startled she was by a fan approaching and asking for photos whilst she was at a train station. It must have made her so uncomfortable.

#33 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:29 AM

View Postmystifyre, on 16 June 2013 - 04:00 PM, said:

Steffi, you made some really good etiquette points that I think are important to remember and abide by when visiting the stage door.

As for speaking to actors when passing on the street, it's a no. It's an invasion of privacy. I recall Rachel Tucker remarking a while back how startled she was by a fan approaching and asking for photos whilst she was at a train station. It must have made her so uncomfortable.

I have no idea what Rachel said, but I'm sure many young actors would be quite happy to be recognised out and about on the street! I know west end performers don't necessarily have a craving for fame TV/film actors do, but I'm sure she of them quite like it. That said, I wouldn't - I was once in a bar and mistook a Sugababe for a member of Atomic Kitten, and then used the wrong name when asking for a photo. Never again!
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#34 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

View Postcraftymiss, on 15 June 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

Well I went to stage door at Queens tonight to say a farewell to a performer I greatly admire.  He's not my friend but I appreciate his voice and the roles he has had in Les Miserables. I am sorry to see him leave and wanted to thank him for his performances over his time in the show. I did however stand back and wait for him to come and speak to me, unlike some women who were virtually launching themselves at stage door the instant cast members left.
I am curious as to why you don't name him ? It is an interesting omission - somehow protecting him from the rest of us when it was you who stage-doored him.

#35 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:51 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 17 June 2013 - 10:42 AM, said:

I am curious as to why you don't name him ? It is an interesting omission - somehow protecting him from the rest of us when it was you who stage-doored him.
Oh no particular reason actually and no not protecting him (I don't know what that means) and yes I stage-doored him for the reasons I said above.  It was Christopher Jacobsen who I have admired since seeing him in the Les Miserables tour.  I have seen him in a number of roles in the show and hope one day he can return to Queens as permanent JVJ rather than the alternate as he was until last year before returning to the show as Enjolras for a brief period up until Sat. I actually enjoy hearing him in concert too, although for me sadly he doesn't do enough. I do not like some of the poor behaviour of some fans at SD and this is more prevalent when certain names are in big shows such as Ramin Karimloo in Les Mis and Michael Ball in Sweeney. I came out of the Adelphi at the exit near SD and cud barely get out due to the Ball fans blocking the street. I had to keep hold of my son for fear of him not being allowed to pass; I beat a very hasty retreat.
I do understand some people abhor the thought of fans being at SD but although it isn't for everyone I feel if the occassion warrants it ie to say farewell at end of a cast run and for a specific performer you may admire and want to thank then in my view it's OK. What isn't OK is the way some people go about it and that they SD EVERY cast member EVERY time they go.

#36 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

Not having any I may be wrong but I imagine some performers must like having lots of adoring fans - not the obsessiveness and stalking but just the having lots of extremely loyal supporters...

#37 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:14 PM

If I had people crowding round me as I left work all eager to say how very much they appreciated the outstanding job I'd done that day, I think I'd find it delightful and annoying in equal measure.

#38 Its_Emily

Its_Emily

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Dancing

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

I have  stage doored 3 times, once was at the Joseph uk tour on my 11th Birthday, having been in the choir multiple times I was familiar with the cast and some of them recognised me, however I know from being in the choir (especially when H from Steps was Joseph) that trying to get out of the stage door with fans waiting for all the main cast for photos and autographs that it was quite intimidating trying to find my parents in the crowd for a 10 year old, especially at Windsor theatre where the alley outside stage door is quite small.  I also went to the stage door at the Starlight Express tour last may in Wimbledon, I only stopped because we happened to be going that way we waited for about 10 minutes two cast members opened the door looked up and down the road and went inside again and that was it. I wasn't expecting to see anyone as it was a matinee so I was perfectly satisfied with this and wandered off. When I went to Rock Of Ages last July there was probably about 20 people at Stage door. When I got there Oliver Tompsett was already out and approached us as we walked up the road towards the door, which put me at ease, he was very nice and willing to have a photo. There was a person at the door telling everyone how they had been eleven times and then pushing everyone out the way and telling all the cast that they wouldn't see them for a while because they were going on holiday, however they disappeared after chasing Natalie Andreou up the road calling 'Jodie Jodie come back' which was just rather embarrassing really ;) I was very respectful to the cast and didn't pursue anyone who was purposefully walking away. In fact with most cast members my dad went over to them and said very nicely 'please could you have a photo with my daughter' which they all willingly obliged. I think its alright to go to stage door as long as your respectful to the performers and the other people waiting and don't push in front of others and don't pursue people who obviously want to go !
Ex - Joseph Chorus Member (UK Tour June 2005- September 2006). I have seen: Joseph, Cats, Starlight Express (x2), Grease (x2),  Ghost The Musical (x2) The Rocky Horror Show, Beauty and the Beast, Rock Of Ages (x2), We Will Rock You (x2) and a ridiculous amount of pantomimes

#39 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

I have only ever been the stage door about three times I think and really just because I was there, not because I was so desperate to see a performer. I have seen some of my favourite people perform and never went to the Stage Door.

I remember waiting for Sheridan Smith after Little Shop, we were the only people there and she stopped and chatted to us for ages, so friendly. I hear for Legally Blonde there were always lots of people waiting to see her. I also saw Ruthie Henshall after Marguerite and again noone else was there and she ended up signing my programme with a pencil.

But generally I'm not that fussed as just like seeing them on stage. I can see why some people go and meet performers but agree with other posts on here that sometimes people take it a little bit too far, anyone remember the huge qs when Idina Menzel was in Wicked, madness! That just reminded me, seeing Wicked for the first time was insane, sat next to two German super-fangirls who had made dolls of Idina and screamed and screamed everytime she came on stage, was a tad offputting!

#40 lucyrara

lucyrara

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

I stage door sometimes but only if a performance wows me so much that it makes me want to congratulate the actor or actress on it. i'm put off by it sometimes though because of the actions of others there. the lack of respect and manners is really shocking at times. you get people who are clearly regulars at a particular show and SD all the time and have got to "know" the cast and some of them act like the rest of us are beneath them and don't have the right to be there just because it's only our first time of seeing the show whereas they've all been there 50 or so times. but in my limited experience, often it's a relief for the performers to see different people there because they get a different view point, an objective view point, rather than the typical omg you're so amazing kind of arse licking view of the regulars.  i remember once waiting for Michael Ball after a performance of Hairspray and one of the regulars shoved me into the road, i narrowly missed being run over by a taxi!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users