60 replies to this topic

#51 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:47 PM

Haha! This last page has amused me greatly! For what it's worth....

I don't stage door nearly as much as I used to when I was younger, now I only go to say hi to a handful of lesser known performers I've admired for years who know who I am. I hope I'm respectful and polite and don't cross any lines. So far no one has told me to bugger off! One even said hi to me way from the theatre when we bumped into each other randomly. I enjoy watching them and following their careers, I hope they appreciate my support.

#52 theatremole

theatremole

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:00 AM

Personally, I think that the majority of people who stage door are completely harmless but there's a very strong minority who really need professional help.... unfortunately, they tend to leave the last impressions (eg the woman who stalked the cast of Frankenstein & the woman who regularly turns up at various stage doors and is quite aggressive/intimidating).

The creepiest people I've ever encountered are the 'professional autograph' hunters.

#53 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:48 AM

Yes the clipboard guys can be awful, Ive been harassed by one that had been drinking demanding to know who had already left and who I was waiting for, then pushing people out the way and getting in the face of the actress leaving.
Ive no idea why people still sign things for them, given they dont go to see the show.

#54 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:16 PM

KevinUK said:

I was once in a bar and mistook a Sugababe for a member of Atomic Kitten, and then used the wrong name when asking for a photo. Never again!

I happened to be walking past the stage door of the Wyndham's earlier this evening (thankfully before Dan Radcliffe madness) quite literally as Kara Tointon was leaving the theatre - so asked, 'Can I have a picture Tara?'.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#55 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

View Postlucyrara, on 18 June 2013 - 06:18 AM, said:

I once witnessed someone telling David Tennant that he was "good but not great" and she expected more from him! He said he would try better next time lol.

He could have said: "Tonight was a good audience, but not great, I usually expect more", but probably he is too polite for this.

Anyone watching Playhouse Presents at Sky Arts? There was an episode this season called Stage Door Johnnies. Hilarious, and a little bit sad. Charles Edwards playing the artistic director of the theatre is especially memorable.

I looked it up and is being repeated this Thursday so catch it if you have access to Sky.

http://skyarts.sky.c...e-door-johnnies

#56 Coated peanut

Coated peanut

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

The cast of The TEAM's Mission Drift at the NT invited the audience to talk to them at the bar after the show, probably not something that would work for large show, but seems like a clear indication that some actors are more than happy to talk to their audience.

#57 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:37 AM

View PostEmiCardiff, on 18 June 2013 - 06:33 PM, said:

Miller is used to it. But for the record let's all agree they both carried their spear admirably. ^_^

Careful - over in the Passion Play thread Quentin Letts was denounced for making comments like that - but maybe it is allowed when it is about an actor rather than an actress ?

#58 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:56 AM

Well if you look back in the thread I didn't start the innuendo....

And I think comments clearly that are a bit of fun should be allowed, but then this is the internet....
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#59 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

Emi, I believe Epicoene himself is having a bit of fun.  See the Passion Play thread.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#60 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:39 AM

Ah oops! it was clearly too early on a Monday morning earlier ;)
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users