#21 les mis lover

les mis lover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:35 PM

View Postles mis lover, on 08 July 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

Gareth Gates is on ITV's This Morning tomorrow talking about Momentous Musicals.

Here is a link to what he had to say  

and a great article from JOJ about his life and involvement in MM. http://www.hispanicb...g_different.htm

#22 John_Rebus

John_Rebus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

Just a few random thoughts after seeing this tonight in Wimbledon:

- They were somehow rushing through the show, as it was (mostly) song after song only. When the last solist left the stage on the left side, the next one entered already from the other. So some kind of a host doing a short introduction for each song would have been good - could have been done also by each solist him-/herself.
- Really short, already ended by 9.40 pm. only one encore (One day more) was played. End was originally announced for 10pm.
- they used only synthesizer strings which didn't sound too good and didn't fit to the seven piece band on stage.
- all in all well chosen songs, even though I was hoping for some others. But I guess everyone is expecting his favourite songs in such a show, so it's not easy to choose the right ones.
- good line-up. Personal highlights were John, Rachael and especially Ashleigh. Thought Gareth was just OK, but the audience seemed to love him. Also liked the newcomers, especially Bronte.
- acoustic could have been better, sometimes quite hard to understand what was sung.
- aircon didn't work (properly). Thus pretty hot inside. Surely lost a pound or two ;-)
- not sure anymore (yes, I'm getting old), but did they skip Sunset Boulevards With one look which was planned according to the programme?
"Some People are Worth Melting For." - Olaf, Snowman

#23 les mis lover

les mis lover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

John_Rebus there are a fews reviews from Wimbledon (some mentioning the heat in the theatre on the night).

http://musicaltheatr...e/#.Uezyx47UNMI
and

http://www.thepublic...eatre-london-2/

I went to Torquay on friday and although a sweltering night outside the theatre was very comfortable.
Totally loved the whole show.
Gareth singing Proud of Your Boy was so lovely and I loved his Somewhere with Bronte. She was my favourite of all the girl singers.
Loved John's Suddenly/Bring Him Home songs.
Thought Rachel's best performance was the Rent song and I loved Maggie Lynn.
Liked the performance from Richard Lowe too.
It was a great night and I agree with one of those reviewers

As the evening continued, it was actually refreshing to realise it didn’t involve sitting through a collection of all the old, familiar musical standards – yet again – and the director John Garfield-Roberts and producers Speckulation Entertainment deserved applause for taking that creative decision
Yes it was refreshing not to hear same old, same old.  Some of the songs I had not heard before but the whole of the show was gripping.

#24 BurlyBeaR

BurlyBeaR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

Just back from the Manchester show (no, it didn't finish at 9pm I live across the road from The Palace!). What a lovely show. Lots of favourites as well as new things to look into. John Owen Jones in fine voice although some of his jokes were a bit sarky, Gareth Gates grows on me all the time, he did a brilliant performance of "Somewhere". Fave lady was a dark haired girl, sounded like a northern Irish accent. Belting voice!

Standing ovation from a full stalls.

#25 ajkb7926

ajkb7926

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:27 PM

You sure it wasn't Scottish? if so then it would be Ashleigh Gray

#26 BurlyBeaR

BurlyBeaR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:39 PM

View Postajkb7926, on 25 July 2013 - 10:27 PM, said:

You sure it wasn't Scottish? if so then it would be Ashleigh Gray

I googled Ashleigh and yes you're right it was her (I'm rubbish with accents).  Fantastic voice.

#27 Musicality

Musicality

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

View PostBurlyBeaR, on 25 July 2013 - 09:19 PM, said:

Just back from the Manchester show (no, it didn't finish at 9pm I live across the road from The Palace!). What a lovely show. Lots of favourites as well as new things to look into. John Owen Jones in fine voice although some of his jokes were a bit sarky, Gareth Gates grows on me all the time, he did a brilliant performance of "Somewhere". Fave lady was a dark haired girl, sounded like a northern Irish accent. Belting voice!

Standing ovation from a full stalls.
   Totally agree with your review - a lovely show which I thoroughly enjoyed - standing ovation in the circle too! A lot of songs that were new to me and I thought all the performers where excellent - loved the duet and the banter between John and Gareth, they were obviously enjoying themselves too. I thought 'One Day More' at the end by the full company was superb - spine tingling actually!  Well done to Spekulation for an excellent show - hope there will be more in the future.

#28 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

Thanks - Glad you enjoyed. Its always difficult to get the balance on a show like this right!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#29 Musicality

Musicality

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

View PostLaughingmonsta, on 29 July 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

Thanks - Glad you enjoyed. Its always difficult to get the balance on a show like this right!
  I think you definitely did -  I saw last year's at Wimbledon and much preferred  concentration on the music this time, felt the dancers weren't needed last year.  Also good to have the introductions for most of the songs as the programmes had sold out so if you do it in the future I would like you to introduce all the songs and say which musicals they were from.Thanks again for a superb show!

#30 John_Rebus

John_Rebus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:24 AM

sorry for bumping up this old thread, but does anyone know whether ...

... a CD of last year's production will be published? It'd be worth for having a high-quality recording of Ashleigh Gray's Wizard and I alone.

... there will be a new production this year?
"Some People are Worth Melting For." - Olaf, Snowman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users