91 replies to this topic

#11 John_Rebus

John_Rebus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:29 AM

I usually go own my own. My friends are not interested in (musical) theatre at all, and as I'm avoiding visiting musicals here in Germany as much as I can (this year, it's Germany: 0, Austria: 1, UK: 29), I'll also have to pay flight and hotel on top, so even if some friends were interested in going once, they most centainly won't pay these costs.

But besides that, I'm fine with going alone. As others already mentioned, I can choose what shows to visit when (and how often - some people would call me crazy if they knew I was visiting some shows twice on a day (or even twice (or multiple tmes) at all)).
"Some People are Worth Melting For." - Olaf, Snowman

#12 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

If I didn't go alone I would see a fraction of the theatre I do. I enjoy going with people but it can be a hassle to organise.

#13 Coated peanut

Coated peanut

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:52 PM

For a year or so I was going with friends a lot, but that turned into a chore where I sent emails asking what they want to see, got no replies and then ended up not booking. It got even more annoying when they started just booking without checking with me first and then informing me that I'm expected to go to a show I didn't necessarily want to see. I missed a few things I wanted to see, and sat through stuff I couldn't care less about.

Whilst I still book the occasional thing with people, I really prefer going by myself.

#14 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

I do go on my own mainly for Steffi's reasons. You can go when and where and sit where you want.
However I am putting myself out there for a theatre buddy :-)
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#15 jean_hunt

jean_hunt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:02 PM

9 times out of 10 I go to the theatre alone. The "you mustn't leave a single seat" rule online drives me nuts. Why should I be forced to pay (almost) top price for a seat in Row N, say, when there's a much better one for the same price in Row F, but it just happens to be 1 of 2 rather than 1 of 6?

It's particularly annoying when you can tell they've designated a central block for premium pricing and just left 2 seats on the end of each row of that section for top price! Sometimes a call to the box office can persuade a human to overrule the machine - but it's not always possible.

It's not just the theatre, of course - my local cinema pulls exactly the same trick!

#16 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:29 AM

theatreliker, meet Jean, Jean, theatreliker...

#17 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

I really enjoy going to see Wicked alone, because im obsessed with it and people are not willing to see it as often as i want to see it, though i do enjoy people coming to see it with me for the first time, they are always amazed by it.

#18 bex1210

bex1210

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:09 AM

I often go on my own to stuff because the majority of my friends either aren't really interested in musicals or can't afford the ticket prices.

Found a sneaky way round not leaving single tickets, well it works if there's more than 2 together in a row. I open more than 1 window and put the extra seats around it in a basket, then buy the 1 i want in a separate browser. Still annoying if there's only 2 and you just want 1.

So many people go on their own nowadays, they should really think about updating it.

#19 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

The upside of being alone at the theatre, i got a single £95 for Viva Forever! for £10, the only seat left in the stalls

#20 wickedlover

wickedlover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:22 AM

View Postdannyboyjohnson, on 08 June 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

The upside of being alone at the theatre, i got a single 95 for Viva Forever! for 10, the only seat left in the stalls

Shows how desperate they are to sell tickets if try are willing to take 85 off...it must be eating the producers alive at how much money they are losing from discounts like this, aside from the lack of sales.
LONDON
[2004 ]   Mary Poppins - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
[2008] The Sound of Music - Wicked
[2009] Oliver! - Billy Elliot - Grease - Wicked - Avenue Q - Sister Act - Wicked - The Rise and Fall of Little Voice
[2010]     Oliver! - Sister Act - The Lion King - Wicked - Sister Act
[2011]     Legally Blonde - Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical - Jersey Boys - Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical
[2012] Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Matilda the Musical - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Ghost the Musical - The Lion King - Les Miserables - Jest End - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Wicked - The Woman in Black - Matilda the Musical
[2013]     The Bodyguard - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - We Will Rock You - The Woman in Black - Wicked - The Book of Mormon - Les Miserables - Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - Wicked - Wicked
[2014] The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - Blithe Spirit - We Will Rock You - Wicked - Miss Saigon - Les Miserables - An Evening With Julie Andrews - Let The Right One In - The Bodyguard

BELFAST
[2004] Joseph (UK Tour)
[2007] Cats (UK Tour)
[2009] Evita (UK Tour x2) - Fame (UK Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour)
[2010] The Sound of Music (UK Tour x3)
[2011] Spamalot (UK Tour) - Avenue Q (UK Tour x2) - Dancing Shoes: The George Best Story - Joseph (UK Tour)
[2012] The King and I (UK Tour) - Grease (UK Tour) - Blood Brothers (UK Tour) - Legally Blonde (UK Tour x2) -   The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Jesus Christ Superstar (Arena Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)
[2013] Soul Sister (UK Tour) - High Society (UK Tour) - Hairspray (UK Tour) - We Will Rock You (10th Anniversary Arena Tour) - 9 to 5 (UK Tour) - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (UK Tour) - Evita (UK Tour x3) - Thriller Live (UK Tour) - Joseph (UK Tour) - Cats (UK Tour x2)
[2014] Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour) - Birdsong (UK Tour) - The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Shrek the Musical (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)

MANCHESTER
[2011] Mamma Mia (Int Tour) - Ghost the Musical (World Premier)
[2012] The Lion King (UK Tour)
[2013] Ghost the Musical (UK Tour) - Wicked (UK Tour x2)

DUBLIN
[2011] Sister Act (UK Tour)
[2012] The Phantom of the Opera (UK Tour)
[2013] Wicked (UK Tour)

Also tagged with single ticket, alone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users