91 replies to this topic

#31 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:11 PM

But don't they say opposites attract?  You'll have more to talk about if you disagree.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#32 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:08 PM

This is true, a good debate about theatre would defiantly make me interested. Presumably you'd know your interests where vaughly compatible by going to the same performance, it wouldn't be good to end up paired with ALW's biggest fan if you hated all musicals after all...
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#33 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

I have to say I've gone to the theatre quite a lot on my own and actually not had a problem as tend to book on sites like lastminute/theatredirect etc who usually allow you to book just one as the seats aren't allocated at the time of booking. I know this won't work for people who do want a specific seat but always worked fine for me as I'm not too fussed, just a suggestion for those struggling.

The good thing about going alone is even a show that is 'sold out' still often seems to have one seat going spare somewhere! I agree with what others have said, much easier just seeing what you want. Booked for Scottsboro Boys and Commitments on the same day, would never have found someone wanting to see both! And combined price came to £22 including fees - amazing!

#34 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:55 PM

I love seeing a show on my own - I get to see what I want, when I want, as often as I want (cough*Wicked*cough). I see around 100 shows a year, and I just couldn't do it going with someone to everything.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#35 fiyero.tiggular

fiyero.tiggular

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:50 PM

I love going on my own, makes things much easier! I can see the show when I want as many times as I want and sit where I want. I have a few friends who go to the theatre but they are very fussy about where they sit and how much they pay (and the 2 don't really go together). I do sometime struggle to book online due to the no single seats thing but as mentioned it can also be easier to find a single seat available at the last minute.

#36 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

I mostly go to the theatre on my own and I think the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

NEGATIVES
No-one to have a pre/interval/post show drink with!
No-one to discuss the production with.
Theatre going with friends feels more like an "occasion" and can be very enjoyable.

POSITIVES
Complete flexibility in what to see, where to sit, price to pay etc.
Almost always get single seats for "sold out" shows especially at the last minute.
You can indulge you selfish tastes (without inflicting them on others) and go to see a show multiple times should you so wish.
Talking to random strangers!
Not having the hassle of checking everyone's diaries and booking tickets and collecting monies. Because if you don't organise the trip it simply does not happen!
Not having to worry if someone else is enjoying the show especially if you have recommended it!

#37 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:52 AM

Haha totally agree wickedgrin! I went alone to Merrily last week and ended up sitting next to someone I know and havent seen for years so that was nice!

I always find with the more unusual shows there is often quite a few  indiviiduals alone and often hardcore theatre fans so nice to have a chat.

The onlt shows I wouldnt be keen on going alone to are those like mamma mia, wwry etc where often big groups and a megamix at the end as feel a bit awkward alone! Though suits me as not my fave type of show

. Im a mid twenties guy and a few times I feel like people do wonder why Im at the theatre alone, I always manage to get upgraded which is great. Best offer so far was a completely free ticket for Sinatra at the Palladium!

#38 wickedlover

wickedlover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:09 PM

I do sometimes feel like I'm being looked at by other theatregoers, and sometimes the front of house staff if I'm sitting/standing waiting to go into the auditorium.

I normally just get my phone out and start interneting (is that a word) or phone someone, or just read the programme cover to cover.
LONDON
[2004 ]   Mary Poppins - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
[2008] The Sound of Music - Wicked
[2009] Oliver! - Billy Elliot - Grease - Wicked - Avenue Q - Sister Act - Wicked - The Rise and Fall of Little Voice
[2010]     Oliver! - Sister Act - The Lion King - Wicked - Sister Act
[2011]     Legally Blonde - Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical - Jersey Boys - Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical
[2012] Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Matilda the Musical - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Ghost the Musical - The Lion King - Les Miserables - Jest End - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Wicked - The Woman in Black - Matilda the Musical
[2013]     The Bodyguard - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - We Will Rock You - The Woman in Black - Wicked - The Book of Mormon - Les Miserables - Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - Wicked - Wicked
[2014] The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - Blithe Spirit - We Will Rock You - Wicked - Miss Saigon - Les Miserables - An Evening With Julie Andrews - Let The Right One In - The Bodyguard

BELFAST
[2004] Joseph (UK Tour)
[2007] Cats (UK Tour)
[2009] Evita (UK Tour x2) - Fame (UK Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour)
[2010] The Sound of Music (UK Tour x3)
[2011] Spamalot (UK Tour) - Avenue Q (UK Tour x2) - Dancing Shoes: The George Best Story - Joseph (UK Tour)
[2012] The King and I (UK Tour) - Grease (UK Tour) - Blood Brothers (UK Tour) - Legally Blonde (UK Tour x2) -   The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Jesus Christ Superstar (Arena Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)
[2013] Soul Sister (UK Tour) - High Society (UK Tour) - Hairspray (UK Tour) - We Will Rock You (10th Anniversary Arena Tour) - 9 to 5 (UK Tour) - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (UK Tour) - Evita (UK Tour x3) - Thriller Live (UK Tour) - Joseph (UK Tour) - Cats (UK Tour x2)
[2014] Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour) - Birdsong (UK Tour) - The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Shrek the Musical (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)

MANCHESTER
[2011] Mamma Mia (Int Tour) - Ghost the Musical (World Premier)
[2012] The Lion King (UK Tour)
[2013] Ghost the Musical (UK Tour) - Wicked (UK Tour x2)

DUBLIN
[2011] Sister Act (UK Tour)
[2012] The Phantom of the Opera (UK Tour)
[2013] Wicked (UK Tour)

#39 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:15 PM

View Postwickedgrin, on 15 June 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

There's a great idea - theatredates.com - I can see it now. LOL
I wouldn't laugh, it's actually a thing! Due to liking various shows on Facebook, I always get an ad at the sidebar suggesting I join, "theatre lover dating"!
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#40 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

Haha! Must sign up IMMEDIATELY!

Also tagged with single ticket, alone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users