91 replies to this topic

#41 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

Haha excellent! Why do I never get ads like that? Because I use my home computer for work many of my ads are VERY confused about my likes and dislikes (currently facebook dating ads think I'm both a gay man, a lesbian and Jewish...I'm none of these things....)
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#42 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

View PostEmiCardiff, on 08 July 2013 - 09:01 AM, said:

Haha excellent! Why do I never get ads like that? Because I use my home computer for work many of my ads are VERY confused about my likes and dislikes (currently facebook dating ads think I'm both a gay man, a lesbian and Jewish...I'm none of these things....)

I wish my Facebook was that clever... I am all three! :P
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#43 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

haha excellent. Let's not talk about what my Amazon recommendations include ;)
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#44 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

New solution to single theatre going is using this message board to see which other posters will be at the same performance as you :) just found two people going to Titanic the same day as me! #whatsonstagefriends

#45 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

Badges, we need small discreet but distinctive badges so we can identify fellow Wossers.

#46 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

But that assumes it's a "problem" that needs to be solved - I might have to get an 'I'm an anti-social old crone, don't talk to me' badge!

#47 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

Haha it wasn't compulsory :rolleyes:

#48 Morten Aagaard

Morten Aagaard

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:29 PM

So nice to read that I'm not the only one who goes alone to the theatre.

I've booked a trip for London between 5th-9th August for watching theatre. I'm going alone because only a few of my friends love theatre, and they can't afford going to London (I'm from Denmark) AND watch two shows every day.

So this will be my first holiday on my own. I look forward to go to the shows, that I want to see. I've already booked for TITANIC, TOP HAT, THE COLOR PURPLE, BOOK OF MORMON and THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. And I want to see two more shows.
Morten Aagaard (DK)

WEST END:
Phantom of the Opera x16 | Love Never Dies x3 | Lion King x2 | Wicked x3 | Oliver x2 | Evita x2 | Wizard of Oz | We Will Rock You | Sister Act | Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat | Sound of Music | Les Miserables | Sunset Boulevard | Spamalot | Thriller Live | Avenue Q | Hair | Spamalot | Hairspray | Billy Elliot | Priscilla Queen of the Desert | Dirty Dancing | Sweeney Todd | Matilda x2 | Top Hat | Book of Mormon | Stephen Ward |

FRINGE:
Aspects of Love (Menier Chocolate Factory) | The Color Purple (Menier Chocolate Factory) | Titanic (Southwark Playhouse) x2 |

BROADWAY:
Phantom of the Opera x2 | Evita | Jesus Christ Superstar |

COPENHAGEN:
Phantom of the Opera x4 | Les Miserables x2 | Beauty and the Beast | Love Never Dies |

#49 zyx123

zyx123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:26 PM

I'll be doing the same thing from the 5-11th Aug. Squeezing in 13 shows.

#50 alywin

alywin

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

View PostAlf, on 07 June 2013 - 12:56 AM, said:

ATG is particularly annoying for this, as you can't leave a single seat or a set of three seats.

Yes, that really bugs me.  I go to the ATG theatres around south London a fair bit, and there's no chance of persuading friends to venture that far south, so it's single seats or nothing.  Sadler's Wells (I go to a lot of dance) is also irritating, at least if you buy the slightly restricted view seats on the side of the front of the second circle.

View Postfringefan, on 07 June 2013 - 02:28 AM, said:

It's not just the seat booking issue but 2-for-1 deals which annoy me - and often supposedly made as loyalty offers from theatres at which I am a regular.  Half-price for one would cost them the same (and at least result in one sale), but can they see this?  

Speaking as someone who has just dumped Tastecard because I can rarely use it for the 50% off pre-theatre because so many venues only offer 2-4-1, I totally agree with you.  It's single-ist!

View Postmallardo, on 07 June 2013 - 05:13 AM, said:

I go to the theatre by myself about half the time and the only thing I miss is not being able to talk about the play at the interval.  Perhaps we lone WOSers should get badges so we can spot each other at the bar.

Agree that interval-killing can be tiresome when you're on your own.  Fortunately, when I go to dance events it's pretty rare that I don't spot other people I know during the interval, so I can talk to them.

View Postbex1210, on 08 June 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

Found a sneaky way round not leaving single tickets, well it works if there's more than 2 together in a row. I open more than 1 window and put the extra seats around it in a basket, then buy the 1 i want in a separate browser. Still annoying if there's only 2 and you just want 1.

Good tip, thanks!

Also agree about the hassle of trying to coordinate if you're going with other people.  It's happened so often over the years that a friend has said "We must go and see X" and we end up running out of time because we can't coordinate our diaries that now I get a bit more callous and go on my own if necessary.  It also leaves me free to make a last-minute decision about something.

Also tagged with single ticket, alone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users