73 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:52 PM

In your opinions, what are the worst casting mistakes of all time in both Musical Theatre or, to make it more interesting, Musical Film and why?

*Note: im talking about the individual performance of an Actor/Actress! Not the musical itself or if the musical is any good at all... Just the individual performances and if the Actor/Actress is any good with the role they are asked to carry out.

#2 SuperSecretBoyband

SuperSecretBoyband

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

I think a lot of the les mis fandom is still recovering from the 25th anniversary concert, a lot of stunt casting there.
Seen:
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (UK tour, Wolverhampton), RENT 20th Anniversary Concert (Stoke-on-Trent), Evita (UK tour, Wolverhampton), Wicked (London), The Commitments (London), Les Miserables (London), Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (UK tour, Birmingham)

#3 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

If we're allowed to include film...  Daniel Day-Lewis, the greatest screen actor of our generation, making a big whoopsie in Nine.

My first response was "ISN'T IT OBVIOUS?  PIERCE BROSNAN!" but actually there's a strange charm to his lack of singing ability in Mamma Mia!  The strange charm might be somewhat masochistic, but I quite enjoy hearing him singing if ever I hear SOS.  It's the unstoppable force of Pierce's badness against the immovable object of ABBA's brilliance.  Somehow, bizarrely, it's charming.  But being analytical, he's tripe.

#4 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

I was thinking Pierce Brosnan too, but then i agree that there is a charm about him. I was not a big fan of Amanda Seyfried as Cosette in Les Mis although she was good enough i suppose.

#5 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3378 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

Stage
Oliver Thornton in Les Mis and Phantom
Mark Evans in Ghost

Movies
Aaron Twaite in Les Miserables
Pierce Brosnan and Colin Firth in Mamma Mia

#6 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:08 PM

I thought Mark Evans was brilliant in Ghost. Duncan James in Legally Blonde was a mistake i think...

#7 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

I didn't enjoy Mark Evans in Ghost but wouldn't go as far as saying he was miscast.

Amanda Holden in Modern Millie and Shrek.
Nigel Lindsay in Shrek.
Duncan James in Chicago.

#8 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

Oh who could forget the shambolic overall performance of Kimberley Walsh in Shrek! I'm a huge fan of her in Girls Aloud and Solo but her Fiona was awful!

#9 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3378 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

i actually thought kimberley was ok, went in fearing the worst but for that role she was ok. i didnt cringe or anything during her performance.

yes id forgotten about amanda holden in anything. mind you if hannah waddingham hadnt have turned it down i think she would have been just as miscast

as for Mark, my issue was like watching a sulky teenager

#10 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

Richard Dreyfuss in The Producers
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users