85 replies to this topic

#1 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5147 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:08 PM

In some ways a difficult play, a black comedy but with very severe swerves. Sorry, did not buy programme and or see cast list on offer [ terrible insult to actors not to have cast list available]  so don't know names of cast. All did ok but I think the two aunties need work..more depth. The violent girl very good, well supported by her little brother and the two men characters, interesting reversals there [ no spoilers from me this time I hope] do well. Daniel R excellent. Probably the best one on stage actually as I just felt the rest hammed it up a bit. It might be me, but there you are. I always think you should play it absolutely straight and the laughs will come [ one of the funniest lines in the play is from DR and it went down a storm and he did it straight as a whatever] but some of the audience were guffawing and were given the cue to guffaw kind of [ hard to explain] from the off at pretty well every line.  Of the three I've seen, Beauty Queen and Lieutenant being the other two I think this is the weakest play but this production will be very well received.

Set looked clunky to me. Not as real as Donmar's The Weir and not as 'suggested' as Anna Christie. Why have I not been impressed with the Grandage series sets yet? Lighting obvious, no real sense of place. Sound, Irish music of course and a big screen photo of Ireland flat and emplty..cliche cliche cliche. Nothing biting to support the bite of the play.
Full house tonight - but OMG latecomers and crisp crinklers. No phones.

#2 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1408 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:55 PM

I'm seeing it Friday, never seen a McDonagh play before so looking forward to it, I've seen Daniel Radcliffe on stage before and He's a very good stage actor.

The Grandage season for me has been good but not excellent, I'm still looking to this, Midsummer Nights Dream and Henry V,

#3 The Glenbuck Laird

The Glenbuck Laird

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:38 PM

Woeful this, not for me. Didn't like any acting performances (Sarah Greene was the best). Didn't think it was particularly funny. Didn't connect with any part and thought story was weak. I can now report the latest results from the Michael Grandage season. Complete Turkeys 2 Ok to decent 1. Looking forward to Jude Law now, surely we can get a good play on the scoreboard.

#4 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:23 AM

I'm surprised at the reactions to the play which I have always loved.  The plot takes some amazing swerves but McDonagh makes it all work.  Perhaps the production is just not settled in yet.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#5 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1306 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:57 AM

First preview people!!
Give it a chance..

#6 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5147 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

I'm not prepared to give it a chance at the price I paid. I don't give a pricey dress a chance if it has wonky seams - I don't buy it or I take it back. Of course the experience of theatre isn't like that but no one can accuse me of not putting my money where my mouth is. So I feel entitled to say that something is not as good as it could be or ought to be. Previews should be cheaper then. Sometimes they are. But his was full price last night and much more than I normally spend on top price tix in every other London theatre.

#7 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

Lynette, you are perfectly entitled to pay full price for a first preview and to howl your dissatisfaction. It makes a much better story than if you'd bagged a cheaper ticket later in the run, when the show's running smoothly.

#8 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

Personally I prefer previews - that's how the director imagines it, surely? Previews are there to change a directors vision, a chance for them to change things they thought would work with the audience but don't. I'm looking forward to this, but I'm day seating it - I hope I don't need to arrive at 6am like I did for P&A - I'd rather turn up at 10:15 like I did for POP!
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#9 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5147 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:08 PM

I didn't know it was a preview. I booked several lives ago.

I forgot to say that DR displays or rather allows us to hear a very good singing voice, just snatches but good, believe me. A musical beckons?

#10 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

Not seeing it until next month. Sad to hear less than good news.
Am enjoying Lloyds transformed season more than the Grandage one so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users