• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#81 Pianoman1980

Pianoman1980

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:44 PM

Apart from the front row day seats do they sell other seats at a discount on the day?

#82 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:27 AM

I got stalls row N two hours before a Wednesday matinee for 27.50. The theatre wasn't very full that day so I'm guessing they do on the day discounts depending on how well the performance is sold.

#83 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

They are also still plenty of £10 tickets (slips grand circle which are fine, as well as the very high up balcony) bookable online for anyone wanting to book a cheap seat in advance.

#84 Katurian

Katurian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

I saw this last week at a matinee and it was a treat! Having read the play previously I already knew I would enjoy the text itself, so I was very pleased to see how much this production really captured the way I'd always imagined it would look, from set design to casting.

About the casting... I couldn't fault Daniel Radcliffe, he was perfectly well cast and brought pathos and likability to Billy, but I wouldn't say he was as exceptional as some reviewers in the papers have been waxing on about. He was good, but so were the rest of the cast! I wouldn't say he was better than any of them, and actually I feel the play was ever so slightly unbalanced because I don't really think Billy warrants a starry casting. It's really more of an ensemble piece and I have to wonder what Harry Potter fans coming to see it would have felt about Radcliffe not saying much during (and then disappearing for much of) the first act!

For me, the star turn was Sarah Greene as Helen. A perfect force to be reckoned with, vicious humour and great line delivery. Especially the banter with her brother.

Everyone was great, though. If I had any niggle it was that sometimes I felt it didn't play the dialogue as harshly, darkly comic as I think it should be. It was a little softer and more Father Ted like than I'd imagined when reading it.

That aside, I thought it was an enjoyable production of a very funny play.

#85 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:36 PM

Found this to be very meh. Was pretty underwhelmed overall. Radcliffe was alright, aunties and Sarah Greene as Helen very good, but it just didn't appeal to me. Have a few more thoughts on my blog if you're interested, it's at the very bottom of my August review: http://thegreatestof...eatre.html#more
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#86 Bamba

Bamba

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

Im very late here I know but I saw this in June, whilst I thought Daniel Radcliffe was great...found this play to be extremely dull.  When we saw it we noticed a high quantity of empty seats after the interval so Im guessing we were not alone in disliking the play! The performances of the cast were good though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users