85 replies to this topic

#11 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

DR has already done a musical on Broadway - How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. He learnt to dance for this. He seems to be an actor who embraces challenges since his Harry Potter days.

#12 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

View PostLynette, on 09 June 2013 - 06:08 PM, said:

I didn't know it was a preview. I booked several lives ago.

I forgot to say that DR displays or rather allows us to hear a very good singing voice, just snatches but good, believe me. A musical beckons?

He did 'How To Succeed...' on broadway didn't he? I'd like to see him try a musical on the west end though.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#13 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3741 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

Yes he did. Looked like he was rather good: https://www.youtube....h?v=69WpCBLrdSQ

#14 The Glenbuck Laird

The Glenbuck Laird

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:56 PM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 09 June 2013 - 06:57 AM, said:

First preview people!!
Give it a chance..
Been thinking about this post. I am obviously not going to revisit a play I didn't like so personally will not be giving another chance. So do you mean I should start each sentence with... 'the acting was bad but it was the first preview so if you have tickets for the last night they may have warmed up by then'? I could have been said I had seen The Weir earlier in the day and thought that play was far superior. I could have said that my wife thought The Cripple of Inishmaan was a solid three stars, but I didn't.

Edited by The Glenbuck Laird, 09 June 2013 - 09:00 PM.

#15 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:08 PM

Mr Barnaby was just pointing out that the comments were in response to the first preview, and so those many of us absent on Saturday needn't much heed several of these comments because much is likely to improve after playing to a few live audiences. It seems unlikely that every single actor is "bad", so maybe they haven't yet managed to clearly establish the tone of this idiosyncratic comedy.

#16 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:37 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 09 June 2013 - 10:08 PM, said:

Mr Barnaby was just pointing out that the comments were in response to the first preview, and so those many of us absent on Saturday needn't much heed several of these comments because much is likely to improve after playing to a few live audiences. It seems unlikely that every single actor is "bad", so maybe they haven't yet managed to clearly establish the tone of this idiosyncratic comedy.

No, I think that's exactly what everyone is 'taking issue with': charging the same (or near enough the same) for a preview performance as a non-preview performance is not acceptable if the quality of the production is not going to be the same. This is not a new play, and the director has had months to consider his vision and interpretation, and (I assume) the last three months to ensure the cast know how to present this vision.

As professionals, working on one of the best stages in the world, at £65 a ticket this production should be ready to go and already be at the best quality it can be. If the actors haven't got the tone right, then the director has messed up and needs to fix it. But a paying public should not watch something 'sub par' at such prices.

However, that's the reason I like seeing the first or second preview - you see exactly what the director wanted before they change things based on the public reaction (unless the props are missing *cough*). Coming from a TV/film production background, I don't believe artistic vision should be altered based on the publics reaction - but of course in theatre it needs to in order to survive.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#17 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:08 AM

A production can never be perfected in rehearsal; audiences are the least predictable aspect of a performance, it takes a while to get used to how they respond and to what they seem to like or not.

Charging top price for previews is the producers decision, any complaints should be aimed at them, not the creatives.

#18 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:34 AM

I didn't know it was a preview. I booked several lives ago.

Presumably it was the life where you paid absolutely no attention to dates of things?

I'm not seeing this for another ten days. I'm looking forward to it, but at the same time, I am no rabid fan of the playwright. His Lieutenant of Inishmore ranks in my top ten worst evenings in a theatre.

#19 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

popcultureboy, I detect a slight note of sarcasm in your remark about dates. ??????????? what have I done to you??????????????

You're gonna hate this one...

#20 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

I wonder what percentage of the audience have any awareness of whether a show is in preview or not. A very small one judging by overheard conversations especially for something like this where the majority of the tickets will have been sold a year in advance. I'm going next week but whether to a preview or not, I genuinely don't know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users