85 replies to this topic

#21 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:59 PM

popcultureboy, I detect a slight note of sarcasm in your remark about dates. ??????????? what have I done to you??????????????

Just the slightest touch of it, yes :-). The dates for the Grandage season, previews and press nights for all of it were announced when it went on sale. It was kind of a big deal.

You're gonna hate this one...

Most likely. Though I have loved some of McDonagh's work. And my expectations can sometimes be confounded. I mean, I was super excited about and looking forward to Strange Interlude.......

#22 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:55 AM

DR was brilliant In HTSIBWRT... I really wish it had come here, it would have changed lots of people's opinions about him.

I have no sympathy for people seeing a preview and then being annoyed its not a flawless show. Even if its a play that's been done 100 times, it's still a new production with a new set... Cast... Etc etc so there are bound to be teething problems for the first few performances. If your into theatre enough to read this website and use this forum , you should know better than see an early preview if its costing full price and you expect perfection. On the issue of money, sadly it costs an awful lot to stage these shows so unsurprisingly , producers won't want to sell at a discount, ESP a show featuring a name like DR.

#23 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:38 AM

I'm sticking up for Lynette...she was just saying it as she saw it and saying the show was not brilliant! I for one am very grateful when people go nice and early in the run and give us a flavour of it. We can all use common sense and work out that things may improve as the run gets a bit more established but a play rarely improves out of all recognition! And some plays are great from the off!

#24 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

Thank you for your support LC. I book for dates I can go! If it is a preview and I am paying a full price I expect a fully prepared show. Did they have previews in the olden days? In the eighteenth century , if it was no good, it was never seen again after the first night and sometimes it didn't even last the night! I'm not saying this one will get better. I think it is what it is now. DR was mighty good, the rest not so. The Grandage season is a disppointment to me so far. PonP dated and P&A nicely done but a vehicle for the Dame. This one a vehicle for DR - good on him - but no where near the level of say, Suchet's Miller or Rylance's Jerusalem or Payne's Constellations ie not in acting or in production. Don't fret folks, the critics will like it cos they like guffaws, don't they?

#25 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:01 AM

Shows rarely promote previews unless heavily discounted, they just show the date its running and there is nothing when you book to say preview or when opening night is, and the majority of theatregoers wont know what a preview is anyway, and when they are paying top dollar why should they.

Yes I do agree, if you are a regular theatregoer you should really know what previews are and thats why I tend to avoid them.  However, if you are paying your £65 your opinion is just as valid as the next person and have the right to expect a quality production.

"On the issue of money, sadly it costs an awful lot to stage these shows so unsurprisingly , producers won't want to sell at a discount, ESP a show featuring a name like DR."

and because of that, people will quite rightly demand a finished product.  You wouldnt accept a half arsed product in anyother walk of life, theatre is no different.

Also, if its a revival of something, very little is realistically going to change between first preview and opening night.  If you dont like the play, you dont like the play.

#26 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:21 AM

Charging top price for previews is the producers decision, any complaints should be aimed at them, not the creatives.

True, but in this instance, are they not one and the same?

#27 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

No... The creative team don't decide the prices...!!

#28 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

I will say in my opinion that this season is a lot of hot air. For all the chat about low prices , the times I've seen the previous shows the audience have been full of hoorah Henry's dripping in expensive jewellery having great seats for the cheaper price. None of the shows are geared to appeal to a new young audience.. And there is absolutely no risk at all in putting any of these star names in these shows. It's as fail safe as a production can get.

#29 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:47 AM

I meant Grandage. He's the director and producer on this, isn't he?

#30 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

None of the shows are geared to appeal to a new young audience

The casting is where it skews to a younger audience. Some might applaud Grandage for his pricing and for putting safe choices (Radcliffe) in slightly less safe plays, which could encourage people to broaden their horizons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users