85 replies to this topic

#31 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

Only people who actively choose to attend previews are entitled to criticise their standard pricing. Everyone else can decide for themselves which performance to attend in the run. Anyone who chooses to see the very first performance is taking an unnecessary risk in my opinion! I agree with KevinUK that there's also a potential upside to that risk, particularly with new and innovative work, but I don't really think that a Michael Grandage production could reasonably be expected to sit in that category. With a new production of an established play, as in this case, I'd have thought that the first performances are mainly about seeing how audiences respond and adjusting performances (and maybe staging) where necessary so as to communicate the "vision" clearly and effectively, rather than making any radical changes to the production.

#32 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

Anyway, the really important question is how long is it?

#33 The Glenbuck Laird

The Glenbuck Laird

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

View PostAlexandra, on 13 June 2013 - 05:21 PM, said:

Anyway, the really important question is how long is it?
Not sure exactly. A bit short of two and a half hours with break I think

#34 hotshot

hotshot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:06 PM

has anyone dayseated for this yet? queueing as bad as peter and alice?

#35 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1278 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:24 AM

This one isn't selling out I believe so can't imagine there's much of a dayseat queue ..

#36 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:33 AM

Didn't I read that Radcliffe chose the play from a few which Grandage sent his way? So presumably he started with the actor he wanted and found some plays to fit him. It's one approach. Thanks for the timing info Glenbuck. I enjoyed it, nothing ground-breaking, but the twists were pleasing (especially the two male character reversals) and it was well acted. It will be a hit with West End audiences, as it was last night. I felt for the chicken who laid those eggs.

#37 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5139 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

View PostAlexandra, on 14 June 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

Didn't I read that Radcliffe chose the play from a few which Grandage sent his way? So presumably he started with the actor he wanted and found some plays to fit him. It's one approach. Thanks for the timing info Glenbuck. I enjoyed it, nothing ground-breaking, but the twists were pleasing (especially the two male character reversals) and it was well acted. It will be a hit with West End audiences, as it was last night. I felt for the chicken who laid those eggs.
Thanks for more or less confirming what is obvious - Grandage started with the actors. No problem, why not? but maybe it shouldn't be so obvious.

#38 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3748 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:48 PM

A meh from me. Play feels overworked- everything is spelled out to us. There's some good plotting, but you can have too much of a good thing. The twists are never ending, there for the sake of it. It's no Beauty Queen of Leenane. And it's a poor production from Grandage. Design looks fake. Rocks and stones sound plastic, you can hear the hollowness. And the exits make no sense. You've just spent ages clambering down a cliff to get to a boat, only to then walk off into the wings.... presumably the sea??

Radcliffe ain't bad - he's got the physical poise just right - and there are a couple of excellent performances from Gillian Hanna and Ingrid Craigie as Billy's aunts. But it doesn't cut it.  The Michael Grandage season is a bit of a disappointment.

And don't get me started on the audience.....

#39 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

I will get started on the audience, I didn't have PH2 restrain, i was imagining violent upon them. We appeared to be sat near hyenas, ridiculously loud laughter and pretty much every line which made it pretty impossible to focus on the play. Would have complained but can you ask someone to laugh quieter? We assumed not. Now there were funny lines in this but as with the Hothouse, only magnified, parts of the audience seemed determined to laugh at anything and everything, even the bits that i'd argue really weren't meant to be funny. Is someone endlessly abusing a cripple funny?

Beyond this I was underwhelmed by the play, I was tied off all the twists by the end and once PH2 had pointed out the strange staging I did become somewhat fixiated on it. DR was good I think, his body must be taking some pounding from the physicality of the role, but nicely done. He comes across as quite a likeable unassuming chap in interview so was pleased that he seems to be continuing to cemet himself a decent reputation. I thought the aunts probably had the most interesting roles and were well done.

If I'd been sat closer and had, had a less hysterical audience it might have been better but not overly convinced.

Oh and there were several children there or about 4 and 6, in premium stall seats, seemed a rather odd family trip out?

#40 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

I never planned attending any of these five Michael Grandage productions, but I'm tempted to observe that all the old audience (in this forum) are reporting that they've experienced various degrees of dissatisfaction at all three (so far) but that they were surrounded by hordes of people unselfconsciously having a good time. So maybe the new audience is well pleased with this season, which was rather Michael Grandage's point all along, wasn't it?

I predict that the consensus on this board for the next two will be:

A Midsummer Night's Dream - "I was a bit bored and disappointed. I expected fresh insights into Shakespeare's masterpiece which I have seen 57 times before. All the people around me cackled with laughter whenever David Walliams and Sheridan Smith were onstage."

Henry V - "I was a bit bored and disappointed. This was a bit stagey and West End-y. The stage was too high. There was too much rain in the battle scenes. Jude Law was very good when he took his top off. All the people around me cackled with laughter whenever a British soldier was killed. Why was there only one member of the chorus? How long is it?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users