85 replies to this topic

#51 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1283 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:57 AM

I think your being totally unfair on the set... It looked fine to me. Obviously they can't use real rock and I thought it was very convincing.
The show itself left me cold... Is it meant to be funny?
I wouldn't go to Grandage to stage a comedy that's for sure.
Some nice performances though, Daniel R really has come a long way since those first wooden days as HP.

#52 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 16 June 2013 - 08:57 AM, said:

I think you're being totally unfair on the set... It looked fine to me. Obviously they can't use real rock and I thought it was very convincing.

MrBarnaby, you state well the case for "convincing" sets like this, which apparently only became possible with the development of this synthetic hard foam rubber substance. However, this set obviously didn't convince the earlier posters, who said it looked artificial. And it wasn't truly convincing to you either, because you know it obviously wasn't real rock.

The theatre should sell lifesize souvenir hard foam rubber models of Daniel Radcliffe. His many fans might find them convincing.

#53 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1666 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:13 AM

Just read a couple of the reviews for this...Billington and Whatsonstage. Don't read them if you don't want to ruin the whole night out....talk about spelling out the whole plot, right down to the ending! Why do critics do this?

#54 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1283 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

No I'm just intelligent enough to know if they used real rock , the stage would plummet into the underground.

#55 Eatbigsea

Eatbigsea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

I thought the acting was excellent all around, although some had more to do than others. But my God, what a mish-mash of a play. Couldn't agree more with Charles Spencer.  I also have to agree that this Michael Grandage season has been more of a disappointment than not so far, at least in terms of quality of the material. I would not have thought, at this stage, that Privates on Parade would be the highlight. And yet I enjoyed it much more than the other two.

#56 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:26 PM

Likewise found myself agreeing with Charles Spencer's review and yes it seems to be the plays rather than anything else that are rather a let down, perhaps we were spoiled by the Donmar in the westend series.

#57 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

The play is much better than in this production

#58 The Glenbuck Laird

The Glenbuck Laird

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 16 June 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

MrBarnaby, you state well the case for "convincing" sets like this, which apparently only became possible with the development of this synthetic hard foam rubber substance. However, this set obviously didn't convince the earlier posters, who said it looked artificial. And it wasn't truly convincing to you either, because you know it obviously wasn't real rock.

The theatre should sell lifesize souvenir hard foam rubber models of Daniel Radcliffe. His many fans might find them convincing.
Are the life size foam Daniel Radcliffe's more convincing than the foam rock scenery or did you mean more convincing than the former Mr Potter's acting?

#59 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2079 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

I enjoyed this but thought the audience reaction at times undercut the savagery of the play (no real bad behaviour but people going "Awwww" whenever something tragic happened to Billy)
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#60 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Interests:PJ and Duncan

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:54 PM

This was alright. Thought the supporting cast were good. HP was earnest and bland. Very underwhelmed with the season as a whole, though I am looking forward to the Shakesperes and recon they will astonish. Maybe. Touch wood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users