If I stay awake, it must be good.

#62 young offender

young offender

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

I found this a real endurance test. There’s not much wrong with the production that I could see, it’s just a numbingly tedious play  – surprisingly so, as I loved The Pillow Man.  I suppose you could read all the aimless banter as a pastiche of Beckett, but it lost me from the opening scene. I was about ready to throw myself off the grand circle during the eternal back-and-forth about ‘fripple-frapples’, the more so as it seemed to tickle all the over-laughers in the stalls. The only really amusing bits involved the sozzled old mother, particularly during the film screening where she expresses an unlikely sympathy for sharks. Either the dialogue needed to be this sharp throughout to make an entertainment, or McDonagh needed to go the full Godot and find profundity in boredom, but for me the play floundered in between.

Looking at the season so far, I loved Peter and Alice, and was indifferent to Privates on Parade. AMSND could be stunt-cast purgatory, but I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

#63 Angram

Angram

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

A £10 ticket for sale for 2.30 performance on Wednesday 10th July. Further details over on the Ticket Exchange section.

#64 DrP

DrP

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

Walked past today at 11 and there were people queueing out the door - presume they were day seaters?

#65 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:23 AM

There were a couple of incidents early on that made me think I'd have to post in bad behaviour, but firstly for the most part it died down after the first 10 minutes (though I've rediscovered how much I hate the cli-fizzzz-cli-cli-cli-fizzz-cli-click of opening a Coke bottle during a show), and secondly much of the audience clearly wouldn't normally head out to see a McDonaugh play and the fact that the play connected and was rapturously received during the scenes without Harry Potter means that what Grandage was hoping for worked and it worked for a non-theatre-going audience.

This is the first of this Grandage season I've liked.  And I liked it a lot.  I laughed a great deal and enjoyed it substantially.  I was a tiny bit starstruck, but nonetheless Daniel Radcliffe is shaping up to be a consumate actor  - his accent and physique didn't falter once, but more importantly he carried the play and I think humanised what could be in other hands less a character and more a cypher or a lynchpin.  It's really a superb piece of acting and though I'd forgive him fluffing everything because of my soft spot for the Potter films I don't need to forgive him anything - he was excellent.  But the entire cast to me seemed on a high level - I won't single anyone out because I'd list them all.  Grandage got the tone just right.  Another nice Oram set.  I don't think Innishmaan is the greatest play about the nature of cruelty, nor even the greatest Irish play about the nature of cruelty (that's Playboy of the Western World) but after Peter and Alice it's nice to have a play that looks at one generation's mistreatment of another and oppressive upbringings with an eye that's scaborous, witty, dark and interesting as opposed to merely descriptive and biographical.  I've seen a couple of things in the last couple of years where my review would have been it's the best production you could see of a rather duff play, and my review of this would be it's the best production of a not perfect but still incredibly good play.  And I knew I'd come out elated to have seen Radcliffe and though I knew he'd be good, he's probably in the running for one of the best actors this year.

#66 drmaplewood

drmaplewood

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

Anyone day seated for this?

#67 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:25 PM

Think ill risk it Saturday. God help me lol

#68 Coated peanut

Coated peanut

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:14 AM

Oh.dear.why? I only made as far as the intermission. The acting was ok, but the play just made me want to curl up and contemplate why I don't find laughing at 'yokels' funny

#69 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5147 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:58 AM

I don't blame you. I didn't like the portrayal of the aunts and they do occupy the stage somewhat. It isn't great drama.

#70 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

What's the balcony like here? Avoidable at all costs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users