#1 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Interests:PJ and Duncan

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:53 PM

Can't believe there isn't a post for this already.
Anyone seen it? Saw it this evening and thought the whole cast were fab. Not one weak performance.

I thought the actually musical was weird. Score was brilliant but the plot was strange. I understand why this ain't been revived.

Keith Ramsay as Billy was a bloody marvel! His performance terrified me. When he screamed about not feeling anything it turned my blood cold!!! He seems to b a very exciting chap and I'm looking forward to seeing him as someone else.

In conclusion, totally go see this if u can get tickets. ALSO it's only 2 hours long! Everything should only be 2 hours long!

#2 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:36 AM

Totally agree.  I thought young Keith Ramsay gave a star-is-born performance - he was astonishing.  The show itself is fun and quirky and ultimately quite poignant - like the movie it's based on, Billy Liar - with excellent book scenes (Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais) and wonderful inventive lyrics (Don Black).  I thought John Barry's music was just so-so but overall an excellent production - as usual from the Union - and a must-see show.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#3 Schuttep

Schuttep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

Totally agree. Excellent production. Keith Ramsey is just astonishing. Go see.

Next show after M4M is Rogers and Hammerstein's Pipe Dream. Can't wait.
If I listed every show I'd seen since 1974 I'd get RSI.

Favourite Musicals: Blood Brothers; Brigadoon; Chicago; Chess; Chorus Line; Company; Evita; Follies; Godspell; Les Miserables; Little Night Music; Little Shop of Horrors; Mack and Mabel; Man of La Mancha; Merrily We Roll Along; Miss Saigon; Phantom of the Opera; Rent; Rocky Horror Show; South Pacific.

Favourite Plays: Beautiful Thing; Bent; Blithe Spirit; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; Cherry Orchard; Dance of Death; Death of a Salesman; Endgame; Happy Days; Hedda Gabler; Henry IV (Parts I and II); Importance of Being Earnest; Little Foxes; Mother Courage; Private Lives; Shirley Valentine; Torch Song Trilogy; What the Butler Saw; Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?; Wild Duck.

#4 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

Agree with all of the above, I just don't know how the Union manage to be so consistently amazing and what a find in Keth Ramsay. I blogged a short review last week in the middle of moving http://www.frontrowd...day-31-may.html
www.frontrowdress.com

#5 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

I know this has been closed for a week, but I just wanted to add how much I enjoyed seeing this a couple of weeks back. Great to see this show as it hasn't been revived since the original production in the mid-seventies and Keith Ramsey as Billy, what a find! Great performance by him, and impressed by such a large cast in such a little venue. I've included it in my review of the month if anyone's interested: http://thegreatestof...-june-2013.html. Hope to visit the Union again soon, Pipe Dream sounds tempting..
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#6 voices

voices

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:51 PM

Hi

I was really sorry to have missed this production last year.

Just wanted to ask:

Was it recorded/does anyone have a recording of it please?

I think it was featured on Elaine Paige's Radio Two show last year, on 2nd June... did anyone record this?

Would be so grateful if someone could help.

Thanks

xx

#7 Schuttep

Schuttep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

There is a recording of the OLC with Michael Crawford and Elaine Paige (among others) but it's very difficult to get. Even on Amazon it's extortionate (the last time I looked).
If I listed every show I'd seen since 1974 I'd get RSI.

Favourite Musicals: Blood Brothers; Brigadoon; Chicago; Chess; Chorus Line; Company; Evita; Follies; Godspell; Les Miserables; Little Night Music; Little Shop of Horrors; Mack and Mabel; Man of La Mancha; Merrily We Roll Along; Miss Saigon; Phantom of the Opera; Rent; Rocky Horror Show; South Pacific.

Favourite Plays: Beautiful Thing; Bent; Blithe Spirit; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; Cherry Orchard; Dance of Death; Death of a Salesman; Endgame; Happy Days; Hedda Gabler; Henry IV (Parts I and II); Importance of Being Earnest; Little Foxes; Mother Courage; Private Lives; Shirley Valentine; Torch Song Trilogy; What the Butler Saw; Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?; Wild Duck.

#8 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Interests:PJ and Duncan

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:14 AM

If u have a record/tape player then it's relatively cheap from eBay and Amazon

#9 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

voices - did you mean the Union Theatre cast were featured on the Elaine Paige show? If so I'd love to hear that too if anyone captured it!
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

#10 voices

voices

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:49 PM

Hi all

Thanks for your replies, but I was asking about the Union Theatre production specifically.

Deal J... yes, apparently the Union Theatre production was featured on Elaine Paige's show. And the song "Billy" was played.

Fingers crossed someone recorded it!

xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users