22 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

Will Matilda sweep? Discuss your predictions here!! My musical opinions are (who i think will win, not who i want to win)...

Best Musical - Kinky Boots
Best Revival of a Musical - Pippin
Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical - Billy Porter (Kinky Boots)
Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical - Laura Osnes (Cinderella)
Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical - Terrence Mann (Pippin)
Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical - Annaleigh Ashford (Kinky Boots)
Best Book of a Musical - Dennis Kelly (Matilda)
Best Original Score - Tim Minchin (Matilda)
Best Scenic Design of a Musical - Rob Howell (Matilda)
Best Costume Design of a Musical - Dominique Lemieux (Pippin)
Best Lighting Design of a Musical - Kenneth Posner (Cinderella)
Best Sound Design of a Musical - Peter Hylenski (Motown)
Best Direction of a Musical - Matthew Warchus (Matilda)
Best Choreography - Jerry Mitchell (Kinky Boots)
Best Orchestrations - Danny Troob (Cinderella)

#2 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

Best Musical - Matilda
Best Revival - Pippin
Best Actress - Patina Miller (Pippin) - I think the voters will decide that Lauras role is too one dimensional and Patina really does work it!
Best Actor - Bertie Carvel (I think that he SHOULD win Featured and Billy poter win leading, but as he is in this catergory it really could go either way)
Best Feat. Actress - Andrea Martin (Pippin) - She is a lock, I will be beyond amazed if she doesn't win!
Best Feat. Actor - Terrence Mann (Pippin)
Best Book - Matilda
Best Score - Kinky Boots (I think it should go to Matilda)
Best Scenic Design - Matilda
Best Costumes design - William Ivey Long (Cinderella)
Best Lighting design - Kenneth Posner (Pippin)
Best Sound design - Pippin
Best Direction - Diane Paulus (Pippin)
Best Choreography - Chet Walker (Pippin) - Unsure if he deserves this as alot of the choreo is the same as Fosses from the original production)
Best Orchestrations - Cinderella (Haven't seen enough of the shows live to really know who deserves this)
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#3 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

I'm hoping Kinky Boots and Matilda win the most awards, they were by far my favourite this year (just do not understand the Pippin hype, it was not that great a show...). Anywhere we can watch the ceremony from the UK by the way?

Also, dead excited by the Megan Hilty, Andrew Rannells & Laura Benanti performance tonight - Bombshell, anyone?!?

My predictions:

Best Musical - Kinky Boots
Best Revival of a Musical - Pippin
Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical - Billy Porter (Kinky Boots)
Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical - Patina Miller (Pippin)
Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical - Keith Carradine (Hands on a Hardbody)
Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical - Annaleigh Ashford (Kinky Boots)
Best Book of a Musical - Matilda
Best Original Score - Matilda (Tim Minchin)
Best Scenic Design of a Musical - Matilda
Best Costume Design of a Musical - Cinderella
Best Lighting Design of a Musical - Kinky Boots
Best Sound Design of a Musical - Cinderella
Best Direction of a Musical - Kinky Boots
Best Choreography - Pippin
Best Orchestrations - Cinderella

#4 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

View Postcanadian_turtle, on 09 June 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

I'm hoping Kinky Boots and Matilda win the most awards, they were by far my favourite this year (just do not understand the Pippin hype, it was not that great a show...). Anywhere we can watch the ceremony from the UK by the way?

Also, dead excited by the Megan Hilty, Andrew Rannells & Laura Benanti performance tonight - Bombshell, anyone?!?

Not that great a show... In your opinion ;) and haven't found anywhere yet, BWW has a stream, that may work here or it may not! And I think they will either do a medley of some sort (with Megan doing something from Bombshell) or a newly written comic number about how all the shows with broadway actors got cancelled!
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#5 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

Yeah it's been confirmed that it's a song about their TV shows getting cancelled, alas.

#6 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

Oh I was right? wow, proud of myself :P
PLANNED

#7 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:47 PM

*pats you on the back* :P

#8 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:18 AM

Wow... Peter Joback was just *AM-AZ-ING*. I've never seen a Phantom move like that (and I've seen it a lot!). First time I've seen Joback except in a few badly shot YouTube vids. I really wish I went to see him when he was in the west end now :(
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#9 John_Rebus

John_Rebus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:23 AM

Seriously? Kinky Boots won Best Score?

I haven't seen the show and can only judge from listening to the cast recording, but no song made me listen to it again and I thought the overall score was bland and mediocre. I know, the experience can be different when seeing the show live on stage, but for me, a good score needs to work also on its own (i.e. without staging on a cast recording).

And while I also think that Matilda is overrated and has not a perfect score, it has at least a couple of good to great songs (School Song, Quiet, My House, Revolting Children, When I Grow Up) and should have won the Best Score Tony -- among the blind the one-eyed is king so to say...
"Some People are Worth Melting For." - Olaf, Snowman

#10 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:23 AM

Kinky Boots sweeping everything has made me lose a lot of respect for the Tonys! it's just American pride, the score and show is so derivative and boringly predictable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users