22 replies to this topic

#11 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3363 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:47 AM

In your opinion.  However a lot of people are loving it, and I think (like Hairspray after 9/11) its come at a time when people want uplifting fun.

Im not sure it should have won Best Score but otherwise im pleased the overhyped Matilda didnt do the sweep.

And so what if it is American pride, if Charlie (for example) wins next year over Mormon or Once will it be British pride?

#12 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

WOW - just check out the opening routine with Neil Patrick Harris! FABULOUS! Now if the Oliviers want to be on TV the bar has been set - HIGH!!!!!!

#13 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:48 AM

Well I personally LOVE the Kinky Boots score and am currently happily listening to it on repeat. Having said that, I do think the Matilda one is slightly better because of the clever use of language in it (it was the score I listened to obsessively last year). I think Kinky Boots won because it's written by Cindy Lauper. Overal happy with the winners though and loved both the NPH opening number and the one about cancelled TV-shows from Rannells, Benanti and Hilty.

#14 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

Pippin deserved its awards, Matilda should of got more, and im even surprised Cinderella didn't get more

#15 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

Why does everyone keep saying 'in your opinion' of course it is in the person's opinion, do they really need to say that after each sentence.

I saw Kinky Boots a few weeks ago and didn't think it was amazing, but now I am listening to the CD it is growing on me quite  alot and a big fan of a few of the songs, weird! Suprised it won six awards though, I did love Matilda when I saw it in London last year.

Most of the performances are on youtube, seemed like a fun night, such a shame the Oliviers isn't televised!

#16 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

Just watched a couple of numbers. What an amazing showcase. Every year they really pull out some stunning numbers and every year we say if only the Oliviers tried just a little bit. I'm glad that westend shows dont live or die based on the awards, but I do wish we made a bigger deal out of them.

#17 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:40 AM

Just caught up on it and have a few things to say.

1) Woo I had the best predictions
2) Audra McDonald is a goddess and if her current tour doesn't come to the uk I will be so upset!
3) I loved the Rannells, Hilty, Benanti number!
4) Why can't we do the Oliviers like that! They were brilliant!
5) Proud of Pippin picking up lots of awards!
6) I think that Kinky won because the numbers are more memorable, I have listened to the cast recording once, and saw the performance earlier, and caught myself singing Everybody say yeah earlier.
7) Patina Miller in Pippin is sex on a stick
8) I WILL see these awards live at some point in my life!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#18 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

View PostTitan, on 10 June 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

However a lot of people are loving it, and I think (like Hairspray after 9/11) its come at a time when people want uplifting fun.

Hairspray is ten times the show that Kinky Boots is, intelligent lyrics, great song pastiches, great writing for character and tunes that kick Lauper's effort into touch.

#19 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

The opening number of the Tonys this year is one of the best musical numbers I've ever seen!!!

#20 Tettekete

Tettekete

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and travel

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

I had my fingers crossed for Stephanie J. Block winning the award for Drood, but yeah, Patina is brilliant.

I think my highlights were the performances from Motown and Cinderella (seriously can we have Cinderella on the West End? Thanks.), Liam Neeson's "I'm the spirit of tragedy. Screw you." and of course, the opening number. Neil Patrick Harris is awesome.
Seen (theatre): Once (London x 2), Wicked (Scheveningen, The Netherlands x6), Wicked (London x 22), We Will Rock You (London x3), Les Miserables (London x 1), The Phantom of the Opera (London x1), Rock of Ages (London x 1), Romeo et Juliette (Takarazuka Revue, Japan x 5), Studio54 (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), For Whom The Bell Tolls (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), Nova Bossa Nova/Meguriai wa Futatabi (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x2), Nijinsky (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x3), 9 to 5: The Musical (UK Tour, Sunderland x1), RENT in Concert (Newcastle x1), Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour, Sunderland x 1)

Seen (concerts, etc): Willemijn Verkaik "As I Am" solo concert at the AFAS Circustheater (2012), West End Eurovision 2013, Rachel Tucker at the St James Theatre studio, Scott Alan at the O2, Andrew Lippa at the St James Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users