16 replies to this topic

#1 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:04 PM

So what do we think about [ one of ] our best classical actor becoming a TV icon? OK, David Tennant did it and survived, garnered attention, returned to classical parts.

Don't know if the report is true actually but odd idea to chuck about if not. He isn't a girl, black or a bright young thing.

#2 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

Rory Kinnear convincingly played against type in Broken, Rufus Norris's recent film. So, maybe his Doctor Who would be a master of disguise?

#3 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

It has been denied by the BBC.

In the interests of "real research", anyone know when "Othello" is expected to run to? I think there are more dates to be announced.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#4 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

Yes, it's been denied - with each new regeneration, even in the 'classic' (pre-Eccleston) days, the newspapers have always featured stories of "insiders" revealing which actor is going to be the next Doctor, or that the next Doctor is definitely going to be a woman, or black. I should imagine they'll go for a relatively unknown actor again. I'll miss Matt Smith, but as a big fan of the show it's always exciting to see a new actor put their own take on such an enigmatic role.

I think Matt Smith was excellent as the eleventh Doctor, I'm hoping we'll see him tread the boards in the near future. His performance in the recent Cybermen episode Nightmare in Silver was fantastic.

Talking of classic actors in the show, I'm hugely excited about John Hurt being in the 50th anniversary episode!
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

#5 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

View Postxanderl, on 09 June 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

In the interests of "real research", anyone know when "Othello" is expected to run to? I think there are more dates to be announced.

NT Live Othello is 26 Sep. No announcement yet of final date.

#6 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:43 PM

View PostLynette, on 09 June 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

So what do we think about [ one of ] our best classical actor becoming a TV icon? OK, David Tennant did it and survived, garnered attention, returned to classical parts.

Don't know if the report is true actually but odd idea to chuck about if not. He isn't a girl, black or a bright young thing.
The only reason to give it to him would be as some sort of tribute to Roy Kinnear - the newspapers would love that angle.

#7 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

Meanwhile Sam West sits sadly next to the phone ... http://www.mirror.co...ound-up-1936594

#8 jean_hunt

jean_hunt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

I'm sure Kinnear would do a good job, but it seems unlikely to happen. I think Ben Whishaw would be brilliant, but as with Kinnear, I doubt he'd be interested - Who is a major commitment, so anybody with an established career is bound to turn the job down in favour of having the freedom to make more creative choices/do more varied work.

As we've seen with Tennant and Smith, the show works very well as a springboard for up-and-coming actors, so it seems to me it's far more likely they'll cast from that arena.

#9 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:57 PM

Yes, as I understand it, it's a 10 month per year commitment for 3 years or so.

Having said that, possibly some noted stage actors would be happy to swap their National Theatre income levels for a bigger paycheque!

#10 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

According to a friend of his  on twitter it's all nonsense and Rory K is getting a bit fed up with it

https://mobile.twitter.com/liz_buckley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users