• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AndyD

AndyD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

Tangram Theatre Company are attempting a model for large-scale theatre outside the massively subsidised powerhouses. They will be doing four major classics in the next two years, starting with Fuente Ovejuna this coming Sunday. Will this project be a sustainable one?

#2 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

This is the second thread you've started about this - are you part of the production company?
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#3 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

Despite looking at their website, their Facebook page and their Twitter feed, I can't actually work out where this production is on.

#4 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

Actually, having just looked, I see nothing suggesting they are trying to do "large-scale theatre" at all. They seem to be trying to get bookings in schools, I've never known of any "large-scale theatre" company openly asking on their website for school bookings seemingly as a primary audience. Their website is pretty shocking too, looks as if it was flung together by someone who had found a niceish looking template and subsequently bodge-jobbed it.

I presume this is them - in which case they are hardly new either.. http://www.britishco...tre-company.htm

#5 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

I have no connexion with Tangram Theatre Company.

Armadillo, Fuente Ovejuna is on at the CLF Art Cafe, aka the Bussey Building, in Peckham.

DanielWhit, Fuente Ovejuna is a large ensemble show, and Tangram Theatre Company is planning two forthcoming large ensemble shows.

DanielWhit, your link is a page on the British Council website which has a webpage for most British arts companies, providing detailed information to international arts promoters who may wish to book them.

Sam Marlowe's Time Out review awarded Fuente Ovejuna four stars and the show was a Time Out Critics Choice in its first run.

#6 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

Thanks - you are much better at doing their PR than the enigmatic AndyD who seems to have given up!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#7 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

I was at University with the guy who started Tangram.  Ah, is it really ten years since Lysistrata?...
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#8 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:23 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 12 June 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

I have no connexion with Tangram Theatre Company.

Armadillo, Fuente Ovejuna is on at the CLF Art Cafe, aka the Bussey Building, in Peckham.

DanielWhit, Fuente Ovejuna is a large ensemble show, and Tangram Theatre Company is planning two forthcoming large ensemble shows.

DanielWhit, your link is a page on the British Council website which has a webpage for most British arts companies, providing detailed information to international arts promoters who may wish to book them.

Sam Marlowe's Time Out review awarded Fuente Ovejuna four stars and the show was a Time Out Critics Choice in its first run.

Ah,thanks.  I was looking for a large-scale venue which my guess is, this isn't. Can anyone say anything about it that might tempt me to ventue to South East London? :o  Is there anyone off the telly in it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users