23 replies to this topic

#1 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

Anyone seen it yet ? Or, failing that (and based on the Hamlet thread) anyone aware that it is on ?

#2 igb

igb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

I'm planning to go when I can find a spare evening to get down.  News that they've installed a tiled floor to make it easier to hose the blood away is a lure, as (of course) is the presence of the excellent Ms Stephens.  But it's on until the end of the summer, so I'll probably wait until the kids aren't in school: elder's muttering about coming along as well.

#3 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2086 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

Saw it a couple of weeks ago, it's very bloody. If you're sitting at the front don't wear dry-clean-only clothes. Stephen Boxer is fantastic.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#4 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:41 AM

I'm beginning to feel weary...send back tix and go for a good dinner?

#5 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2086 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:53 AM

Oh, I'd go for it, it's a bit gruelling but an entertaining evening. Most of the blood and guts is in act 2, so you could always make your mind up at the interval.

I'd eat beforehand rather than afterwards ;)

#6 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

I saw it a couple of weeks ago - it's Titus Andronicus basically, so you know what you're getting! It's not as gory as some versions but inevitably there's some splatter. A good production with some good performances - thought I thought the actress playing Lavinia was remarkably phlegmatic in response to being raped and mutilated. If you want to see TA this is a worthwhile production to see - I'm not sure I'll put myself through another one in a hurry though.

#7 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:41 PM

I found all the hanging upside down a lot more icky than the blood. Just think of it as a really low-scoring episode of Come Dine with Me

#8 Mr Todd

Mr Todd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

Well I'm in seat A12 when I go in August so I fear I may have to wear something that blood stains wash out of easily! it's one of the few Shakespeare plays I've never seen as its reputation somewhat preceeds it, but if anyone was going to persuade me to go and see it just the once then Katy Stephens as Tamora twisted my arm.

#9 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2086 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

View PostMr Todd, on 14 June 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

Katy Stephens as Tamora twisted my arm.

You got off quite lightly compared to quite a few of the characters then!

#10 maggiem

maggiem

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:55 PM

I saw it a couple of weeks ago and wondered how long it took to get all the tattoos on her arms (probably spray on!)

I'd never seen this play at all, although I did know it was the "bloody" one. For some reason I kept thinking 'two poodles in a pie', which is from the film "Theatre of Blood", and one of the essays in the programme made a reference to it.

Having seen "Timon of Athens" last year at the National, I'm still not sure which banquet was worse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users