5 replies to this topic

#1 Trev

Trev

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

Ever since I saw Bertie Carvel's wonderful Miss Trunchbull last year, it has been bugging me where his inspiration came from - last night saw the film The Magic Box and realised at once that it is the Joan Hickson character - brilliant!

#2 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:07 AM

I liked Matilda a lot but thought BC was merely adequate in the role, I thought he missed laughs that a genuine comic actor would have got, the praise directed at him was mostly for the role itself.

#3 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

I sort of agree, I was left at a loss as to what was so amazing in his portrayal.  Dont get me wrong, he was very good, but it was nothing I couldnt imagine plenty of others doing. And from what ive heard, all replacements have been just as good, if not better.

#4 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

View PostTitan, on 17 June 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

I sort of agree, I was left at a loss as to what was so amazing in his portrayal.  Dont get me wrong, he was very good, but it was nothing I couldnt imagine plenty of others doing. And from what ive heard, all replacements have been just as good, if not better.
Exactly. It is a plum role for any actor and he was OK in it. He just didn't strike me as a natural comic actor, I can't immediately think of who could have played it better but by comic (stage) actors I mean the likes of Simon Russell-Beale, Richard Griffiths, Alastair Sim, Harry Melling, James Corden, Mark Gatiss and so on. The top-rank classical actors can do it too, the likes of McKellen and Jacobi, but as we saw from BC's next role that category doesn't include him either.

#5 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

I thought he was excellent and played the role beautifully, but I thought the same thing about David Leonard's performance...

#6 JME52K

JME52K

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

I also enjoyed his performance. I am sure there are many comedy actors who could play it very well but they also need to be extremely fit so that kind of narrows it down somewhat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users