4 replies to this topic

#1 PaulR

PaulR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

Maybe the play I have enjoyed most this year so far. 8 hours later and still talking about it.
unfortunately one of the things talked about is the on going problem of mobile phones ringing during a performance.
Now at the Hampstead there is avery clear announcement in the outside foyer for people to turn their phones off.  
In the auditorium TWICE an audio reminder is made to turn off phones which only the densest of morons would not understand
yet still phones went off. After the third someone from the audience shouted "turn the f...... thing off"
Amazingly yet at least another two rang.
I despair.
At the curtain call Clarke Peters thanked those in the audience that had turned their phones off and praised the guy who had shouted out his comment and suggested that in future when phones went off we should point to the culprit and publicly shame them.
I for one would love to but fear a production would never end.

#2 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:14 PM

Was about to start a topic on this. No phones this evening, thank goodness.

I went with low expectations after the reviews, came out rather impressed. It's a fast, fierce play- a study of the legal profession (which doesn't come across all that well) and, as the title suggests, race, and in the case around which this play revolves, how the two come at odds with each other. Occasionally it repeats itself or gets a bit dense, but nevertheless it is gripping stuff, superbly performed by the cast of four. Clarke Peters and Nina Toussaint-White particularly impressive. Nice detailed set, too.

This and A Human Being Died That Night downstairs make a good double bill, each providing a different insight into race, and racism.

#3 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostPaulR, on 15 June 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

Maybe the play I have enjoyed most this year so far. 8 hours later and still talking about it.
unfortunately one of the things talked about is the on going problem of mobile phones ringing during a performance.
Now at the Hampstead there is avery clear announcement in the outside foyer for people to turn their phones off.  
In the auditorium TWICE an audio reminder is made to turn off phones which only the densest of morons would not understand
yet still phones went off. After the third someone from the audience shouted "turn the f...... thing off"
Amazingly yet at least another two rang.
I despair.
At the curtain call Clarke Peters thanked those in the audience that had turned their phones off and praised the guy who had shouted out his comment and suggested that in future when phones went off we should point to the culprit and publicly shame them.
I for one would love to but fear a production would never end.
It sounds like the world's worst audience were out yesterday

#4 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:31 PM

Caught this this afternoon. I left somewhat underwhelmed, despite solid performances from the cast. I've reviewed in more depth on my blog if anyone is interested http://thegreatestof...ogspot.co.uk/20.

Also my first visit to the Hampstead Theatre, which really is a lovely venue. Although lighting in the back row stalls was very poor, had to guess the seat numbers.
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#5 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:34 PM

You thrilled to Chariots of Fire !

Now, Eddie le Hall Productions Inc. brings you... Race !!

Also tagged with hampstead theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users