• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 whittlebot

whittlebot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Theatre! Film Music (the music composed for films) Off-road cycling. Hiking. And restaurant evenings in the company of a few close friends.

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

I have been going to the Theatre for over 40 years. My memories of past and recent Plays are as rich and varied as the productions I have been lucky enought to have seen. As a gay man who experienced the pain of rejection and contempt of friends and family who could not/would not try to understand how I felt, and the joy of discovery, a relationship with another such as I. And finally acceptance. The superb, wonderfully heart warming production of A Beautiful Thing. Brighton, Theatre Royal last night, I was able to identify with Jamie and Ste. An emotional rollercoaster for everyone in the audience who were drawn with every scene further and further into the drama, becoming totally involved through tears, laugher, cheers, and much hand-clapping, at perhaps some inapropriate places, but it didn't seem to matter...the lights dimmned over the boys dancing/holding each other. The ladies embracing. A moment of total silence then the pent up storm of applause and emotion swept forward from every corner of the house and engulfed the cast..a standing ovation, repeated curtain calls no one wanting to leave the auditorium, but it had to stop, people reluctantly departing, I went out into the cold night air. The real world, exhilerated, knowing I had seen a Play that will remain in my memory for a very long time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users