- - - - -

Wicked The Most Audience Videoed Show Ever?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:12 PM

You type Wicked into YouTube, there is literally hundreds of videos, sound bites and images of the show, the London, Broadway, Australian, Asian, German and US tours are all bootlegged massively. Is it just me, or is Wicked the most illegally filmed show ever?

#2 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

Probably yes! Also I don't think the producers worry about taking it down as they like to have the competition that goes on and the discussions about the best and people's dream casts as it keeps people interested in the show!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#3 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

I dont think ive ever seen a show quite as bootlegged as Wicked, i suppose though it just proves its popularity, that people wanna film it

#4 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

I agree it seems almost disproportionate how much people film Wicked...but why not Les Mis or something with an equally devoted fan-base?

#5 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

Its Defying Gravity thats done it! People know this one moment in theatre is huge, so people film it. But now its more turning to No Good Deed. I have realised though, it is a totally different community with Wicked. People know Louise Dearman, Rachel Tucker, Alexia Khadime, Kerry Ellis and Idina Menzel as household names if they are fans of Wicked, and there are thousands of requests for first night performances, especially the likes of Louise Dearman (mainly because she was the first woman in history to be cast in both lead roles!)

#6 Tettekete

Tettekete

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and travel

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

I've already had a few people ask me to record Willemijn's opening night since I'm going, but I'd honestly rather just WATCH the show than spend the entire time worrying about getting a good bootleg.
Seen (theatre): Wicked (Scheveningen, The Netherlands x6), Wicked (London x 19), We Will Rock You (London x3), Les Miserables (London x 1), The Phantom of the Opera (London x1), Rock of Ages (London x 1), Romeo et Juliette (Takarazuka Revue, Japan x 5), Studio54 (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), For Whom The Bell Tolls (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), Nova Bossa Nova/Meguriai wa Futatabi (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x2), Nijinsky (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x3), 9 to 5: The Musical (UK Tour, Sunderland x1), RENT in Concert (Newcastle x1), Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour, Sunderland x 1)

Seen (concerts, etc): Willemijn Verkaik "As I Am" solo concert at the AFAS Circustheater (2012), West End Eurovision 2013, Rachel Tucker at the St James Theatre studio, Scott Alan at the O2, Andrew Lippa at the St James Theatre

#7 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

Ive had people asking me to record Louise Dearman's final performance as i am going and because im in the front row, apparently i would be the best person to record it! But i said no.

#8 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

Also just curious but what's the obsession with first nights? Clearly they're a big deal for the performer and very exciting to go see but when I watch youtube videos etc I prefer to see a performance once the actor has really got into the part - the first night is unlikely to be their very best performance! Last nights yes but not first nights...

#9 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

See i think the big first nights are only when it is someone big, at least for the show. Like the return of Louise Dearman was a big deal for Wicked, so it got a massive hype in the Wicked community

#10 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

View PostCatqc, on 18 June 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

I agree it seems almost disproportionate how much people film Wicked...but why not Les Mis or something with an equally devoted fan-base?

Fans of Wicked are already notorious for their bad behaviour. If they feel they have the right to elbow other people out of the way at the stage door they probably feel they have a right to record and distribute someone's performance that overrides the performer's own feelings on the matter. (In fact they've probably convinced themselves that they're doing the performer a favour.)
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users