- - - - -

Wicked The Most Audience Videoed Show Ever?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 SuperSecretBoyband

SuperSecretBoyband

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

View PostCoggit, on 26 June 2013 - 10:07 AM, said:

I do understand what you say about it not being the best advertisement though. I do like (and make a point of looking for) videos where things have went wrong. One of my favourite  being a Japense video of Phantom, in which the boat breaks down and the set doesn't come on stage, resulting in the Phantom literally dragging the candles on. Also a Germany video in which Mme. Giry doesn't make it on for "Ms Daae has returned".
That reminds me of this that I found, where Buquet doesn't come on for Magical Lasso and Meg sings it instead. I actually think it works better in the context of the show.
Seen:
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (UK tour, Wolverhampton), RENT 20th Anniversary Concert (Stoke-on-Trent), Evita (UK tour, Wolverhampton), Wicked (London), The Commitments (London), Les Miserables (London), Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (UK tour, Birmingham)

#22 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:00 AM

View PostSuperSecretBoyband, on 29 June 2013 - 11:05 PM, said:

That reminds me of this that I found, where Buquet doesn't come on for Magical Lasso and Meg sings it instead. I actually think it works better in the context of the show.

For me that's what separates people who belong in theatre from people who don't: the ability to improvise a way around a problem until it can be sorted out (or until there's really no hope of continuing). On the other hand, more than a few times I've seen shows come to a grinding halt while everyone stands around looking gormless.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#23 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:51 AM

View PostSuperSecretBoyband, on 29 June 2013 - 11:05 PM, said:

I actually have this entire performance :unsure:  What's great about it is that It was also the first performance of the understudy Mme. Giry, Sally Williams, so she handled it really well.

View PostMatthew Winn, on 30 June 2013 - 06:00 AM, said:

For me that's what separates people who belong in theatre from people who don't: the ability to improvise a way around a problem until it can be sorted out (or until there's really no hope of continuing). On the other hand, more than a few times I've seen shows come to a grinding halt while everyone stands around looking gormless.

In the video I mentioned before where Mme Giry doesn't come on stage for "Ms Daae has returned", the guys player Firmin and Andre just walked around gormless looking around as if to say "okay... now what?!?!".
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#24 tsxmitw

tsxmitw

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

Also very hard to diss bootlegs/bootleggers when some of them capture such amazing and interesting pieces of footage as this:

#25 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:22 PM

Wow fantastic, what production is that from?

#26 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

love that clip! is the orchestra pit in the same place at the AV?

#27 tsxmitw

tsxmitw

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

View PostCatqc, on 04 July 2013 - 04:31 PM, said:

love that clip! is the orchestra pit in the same place at the AV?

The clip is from the Second National Tour in the States. Some of the regional theatres over there obviously have bigger orchestra pits that 'stick out' beyond the edge of the stage more - in the AV in London, the pit is more concealed beneath the stage, so a bootleg as clear as that one would be impossible to film in London.

Edited to add: Incidentally, there's footage of the conductor from the London production back in 2006 doing the rounds on YouTube. It's not nearly as clear as the recent 2NT conductor videos though

#28 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:33 PM

I don't see the point in them videos - who wants to see a conductor, and how can they not be aware?
If I stay awake, it must be good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users