dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:24 PM

westendproducer@westendproducer
38m
There's a big meeting happening tonight in one of the west end's biggest theatres. Rumours about another show closure. I hope not, #dear

We Will Rock You? Mamma Mia? Phantom? Les Mis? Wicked? Billy?

#2 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:28 PM

http://forum.whatson.../page__st__1900

Although Billy has also been rumoured to be closing this year for quite a while now!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#3 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:31 PM

Oh i didn't see that! It may not be WWRY though, its not specified at all to be this :P

#4 lucyrara

lucyrara

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

could be A Chorus Line?  that's a big theatre and sales for it have been slow lately. although would be odd to close it when a cast recording has only just been announced.  maybe Top Hat, that's another one with a rumoured closure. although not sure whether the Aldwych would be considered one of London's biggest theatres. didn't know about the WWRY rumoured closure but wouldn't surprise me, think the show has had its day now. it's always sad when a show closes though. especially one that's decent with a talented cast behind it.

#5 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

Top Hat is already announced closing, as has Chorus Line i think...

#6 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

I think WWRY most likely, but no evidence, just my thoughts!

#7 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:37 PM

I think Les Mis, Phantom and Wicked are the only big shows that are definately out of the question... All three are doing amazing buisness at the moment! The Bodyguard perhaps?

#8 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:43 PM

Didn't that only announce an extension this week?

#9 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:46 PM

I can't see WWRY closing - surely it would benefit from a move as opposed to a pure close? It might not sell out and it might be heavily discounted, but I can't imagine it's making a loss? I've heard lots of talk about Billy closing - doesnt the Victoria Palace have planning permission for renovations too? But at the same time, I've not really heard that ticket sales have been poor. Not one of the biggest theatres, but my money is on One Man Two Guvnors or Thriller.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#10 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:54 PM

Billy Elliot has been discounting for a while and its not cheap to run. WWRY wouldn't surprise me either. I think One Man Two Guvnors will close at the end of its booking period in March, I doubt Mamma Mia! Is going although I imagine the move to the Novello has affected sales.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users