#21 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

View Postposter J, on 18 June 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

A Chorus Line is closing in January anyway, I don't think WE Producer would be making a tweet like that if it was just about ACL.
You took the words out of my mouth ;)

#22 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

I think it might be a big shock which show will be closing.

#23 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

View Postdannyboyjohnson, on 18 June 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:

I think it might be a big shock which show will be closing.
It can't be Wicked they just announced a new Elphaba....Les Mis is doing fantastic business after the movie...I don't see how it can be Phantom...Lion King?

#24 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

Probably WWRY. It's had a good run and it has been increasingly dumbed down in recent years and (for me) lost a lot of its charm. It's also been guaranteed to be up at TKTS for half-price for years now.

#25 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

We may never know, all the tweet says is theres a big meeting about  a show in a big house about its future. So we will only find out of they decide to go ahead and close it.

#26 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

WWRY has only lasted this long as the Dominion is gargantuan and few shows want such a large space. When it originally posted closing notices in 2007(?) it was due to Queen and Ben Elton having put to get her a sequal, provisionally called "We Will Rock You Two" or something similar. There were even plans to run both shows in rep with each other, but eventually it was decided that the sequal wouldn't be as successful, and so just ran the original. There has been little interest in the Dominion for a long time, though several shows have looked at it (Memphis, Spider-man, Motown having been about pretty recently), so it might be that there is a genuine offer on the table now.

#27 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2089 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

I can't see any big show risking opening in the Victoria Palace while its in the middle of a building site, so I suspect Billy Elliot is safe for the time being.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#28 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

View PostTitan, on 18 June 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

We may never know, all the tweet says is theres a big meeting about  a show in a big house about its future. So we will only find out of they decide to go ahead and close it.
Very true! It could be all this for nothing!

#29 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

View PostCatqc, on 18 June 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

It can't be Wicked they just announced a new Elphaba....Les Mis is doing fantastic business after the movie...I don't see how it can be Phantom...Lion King?

Lion King still sells well so I doubt its that, I think it would only close once sales have slipped and Disney feel its time for a new show. They've got Aladdin coming up but that's not going to Broadway until 2014

View Postxanderl, on 18 June 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

I can't see any big show risking opening in the Victoria Palace while its in the middle of a building site, so I suspect Billy Elliot is safe for the time being.

I suspect once Billy closes, the VP will go dark as its meant to be renovated with a new fly tower and other refurb

#30 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2089 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

View PostJon, on 18 June 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

I suspect once Billy closes, the VP will go dark as its meant to be renovated with a new fly tower and other refurb

Ah right, didn't know that. It would make sense for the refurbishment to be complete around the time the area is a bit tidier I guess!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users