5 replies to this topic

#1 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:31 PM

Great fun for anyone who has wondered what mid-Victorian theatre was like. 4 cracking little three-handers in the best possible location. Catch it if you can

#2 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:55 AM

One of them was also done at the Orange Tree quite recently. You wait 130 years for a mid-Victorian farce to come along ....

#3 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

I'm going to this tonight, glad to hear you enjoyed it. I'd never heard of Wilton's Music Hall before, I'm as intrigued about the venue as I am about the plays!
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

#4 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:13 AM

The venue is a bit crumbly but the nearest you're ever going to get to a genuine local Victorian music hall for local people.

#5 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:14 AM

The venue is wonderful, Fiona Shaw's 'The Waste Land' and Out of Joint's African 'Macbeth' are two productions that stand out from my past visits.

You'll have seen the place even though you haven't realised it as it appears frequently on TV and film as a set (look for the barley sugar columns, they're a dead giveaway). A good amount of Poliakoff's 'Dancing on the Edge' was filmed there for example,

#6 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:47 AM

Yes, the recent Dorian Gray with Ben Barnes was filmed there too.  Meanwhile, 2 stars from Billington, 4 stars from everyone else. I look forward to hearing what others think.

Also tagged with Wiltons Music Hall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users