29 replies to this topic

#1 mystifyre

mystifyre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

There may be a very simple answer to this, but I'm curious as to why there isn't a public record of the London West End Box Office grosses like there is for Broadway on Broadwayworld.com?

I find it really interesting comparing the various shows and their performances and you can clearly see which shows are selling the most seats.

#2 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

Basically because it isn't the law that they have to do it here, and the producers don't want people to know when their show isn't doing very well, which is why we only hear when a show breaks some sort of record!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#3 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1407 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

I think any decision to publish grosses would be at the discretion of the various producers and SOLT and I think by having the grosses out in the open might impact sales, I personally would like to see how shows are doing money wise,

#4 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:57 PM

I suppose you could argue it detrimental to those involved. I'm sure a director would hate it known that their last few shows had only been moderate financial successes etc. I'd like it known as I feel everyone involved will feel they have to raise their game more to ensure a hit, but then there's the argument that it might become too money orientated if they were known - resulting in less risks in choices of productions etc.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#5 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

I've never seen a good reason *to* publish this information... other than nosiness!

#6 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1407 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

View PostSteve10086, on 20 June 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

I've never seen a good reason *to* publish this information... other than nosiness!

We get information on films grosses and various charts for games, music etc and businesses often post their revenues every quarter so why not the theatre? I do wonder whether shows would close earlier if it was known how well they were performing.

#7 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

I don't think anyone can answer your questions but there's more speculation here  http://forum.whatson...page__hl__gross

#8 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:04 AM

View PostJon, on 20 June 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

We get information on films grosses and various charts for games, music etc and businesses often post their revenues every quarter so why not the theatre?

Why the theatre? Publishing the information would be an extra overhead for the producers, and the only benefit is that it satisfies the curiosity of the members of the public who are interested in that sort of thing. What do the producers get out of it?
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#9 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

Perhaps we should first understand the reasons for the weekly publication of film box office grosses:
http://www.bfi.org.u...-office-figures

Then we could consider why these reasons don't map on to the theatre industry.

#10 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

I dont see that it would have a bad effect on business.  Only theatre geeks would really care about what was posted, the general public will not go to see a show because it is grossing a lot, and vica versa.  They will go because of good reviews, word of mouth, it appeals to them etc....the same as movies.

That said they dont have to publish if they dont want.

It would be nice to have a top 10 say of the best selling shows in London by the SOLT,  the actual grosses dont need to be published.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users