21 replies to this topic

#11 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:08 PM

i suspect roxie is the plum role that a bigger name would go for. julianne hough is rumoured to be roxie

#12 BurlyBeaR

BurlyBeaR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:34 AM

I saw her in Cabaret and in Oliver! And she was dreadful in both.

#13 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

completely disagree. although in cabaret she was too young really

#14 BurlyBeaR

BurlyBeaR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

I agree she was young, and that might have explained her lack of stage presence in Cabaret. Not to mention the trauma of seeing Wayne Sleep perform every night (gosh he was terrible). But it was exactly the same in Oliver! She completely disappeared amongst the cast. No spark, no personality, no power in her voice and poor acting. I enjoyed her in the Les Mis film, I think her future lies in films. They can make anyone look passable with a good edit.

#15 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1306 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

She's done incredibly well considering (in my opinion) she was dreadful on the TV show. I guess putting her in a musical film where no one else can sing will do wonders for your career.

#16 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

I thought she was great in Cabaret, especially considering how young she was. Not that impressed by audios of her in Oliver, but she only had one bad week on the TV show and she was outstanding in the Les Mis movie, best thing about it.

Glad to see her doing well :)

#17 mystifyre

mystifyre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

I can't really visualise her as Velma, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. She may very well surprise us. I am very pleased that she's getting a lot of recognition now and that her career seems to have rocketed since featuring in the Les Mis film. I've always liked her portrayal of Eponine. I also read that she's starring in "The Christmas Candle" movie alongside Susan Boyle which is being released in cinemas in December.

Personally, I think she's destined to be in films more than musicals, but that's just my opinion. She translates better on screen.

#18 Joule

Joule

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

I always thought Velma is a role you player in your mid 30s to mid 40s (or much older if you're a name). But yes, I'm also pleased for her (despite not liking her at all on the TV show, but she's got a lot better over the years).
'You're about as sexy as a cabbage patch kid.'

#19 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:24 AM

Dont forget this isnt a major long term part, its a very limited run.  Its almost like Hollywoods version of community theatre (albeit on a bigger scale) so being 'right' for the role doesnt always matter.

#20 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

View PostTitan, on 23 June 2013 - 07:24 AM, said:

Dont forget this isnt a major long term part, its a very limited run.  Its almost like Hollywoods version of community theatre (albeit on a bigger scale) so being 'right' for the role doesnt always matter.
"Community Theatre" is a bit dismissive but they do try to use actors one doesn't necessarily associate with musicals or with singing at all - Stephen Moyer, for example, as Billy Flynn.  Yet it usually turns out that these people CAN sing and dance.  Rebecca Romijn was, surprisingly, just fine as Ulla in last year's The Producers.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users