45 replies to this topic

#11 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

The finale is the scene I was referring to about one side being less crowded, I scooted round the back and could see easily from the left hand side. Having seen Masque of the Red Death very early it was interesting watching it develop, I don't know if anyone remembers but the finale changed markedly (and the decor of it) among other things.

I particularly liked the 'Western' sets and the town on one or other of the top couple of floors. Again, don't want to give too much away but you'll get the drift,

#12 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

Yeah, I tried to go round the back but short of shoving people out of the way I couldn't get through, which was when I went upwards instead.

#13 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

View PostAlexandra, on 24 June 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

Yeah, I tried to go round the back but short of shoving people out of the way I couldn't get through, which was when I went upwards instead.

How I did it - spoiler (I know they don't like spoilers being spread but separate a post for them would be useful I think)

Spoiler

#14 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

The whole thing sounds incredibly stressful! Can you pay extra for a "no tossers allowed" performance?
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#15 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

It's only the final scene that's so full, though a lot of the main scenes are quite busy. It's such a vast venue that I suppose they've sold more tickets than usual, which is fine until everyone gravitates to one place or chases a character.

#16 DrP

DrP

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

My thoughts:

- Sets were extraordinary, could have spent hours just exploring the details.
- Story however, less impressive. I don't know Woyzeck, so I found everything very disjointed. I feel like I shouldn't have had to research the story beforehand to enjoy it. Felt at times like performers were filling for time while people stared waiting for something to happen. Then when something did, the crowd would race after them at speed.
- It was very hot, particularly with the mask on. Wear something light!
- My friend had the only one-on-one that I saw all night, up on the top level, in a tent...

#17 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

View Postxanderl, on 24 June 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

The whole thing sounds incredibly stressful! Can you pay extra for a "no tossers allowed" performance?

You can pay extra, but what that gets you I don't know.
Seriously, is anyone going with a £85 ticket? I genuinely want to know what that type of ticket gets you.
To be honest, the discussion so far, here and on blogs, is more interesting than the production.

#18 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

The £85 tickets apparently subsidise the cheap concession tickets released every Monday.

Think of it as wealth redistribution.

dreamthinkspeak charged £25 for 'In the Beginning was the End'; that was an hour long and, in comparison, very limited in space and story. I found it very disappointing and not worth the cost. Secret Cinema at £40 plus has lower production values, very limited cast and is often a bit shambolic (which is charming but they need to get more professional as regards the experience).

I haven't seen any interesting discussion on blogs yet, if it's anything like Sleep No More then a number will sprout up for people to be able to share ideas.

#19 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

All the above comments raise two questions:

1 )  Has Punchdrunk now reached a set formula for its mega-shows, with just the title changing?

2 )  Would it be better for Punchdrunk to experiment in form and process with each new show?

#20 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

I just hate this kind of thing. It sounds stressful. I know I would not have a clue what was going on or where to be and feel foolish for being "out of the loop". Let the "trendies" get on with it, a lot of it is Emperors New Clothes, people think its wonderful because its "cool" but really have no idea either!  I will stick to my proc arch! LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users