45 replies to this topic

#21 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

Given the company's success for the last seven or so years I think they can do nicely without the 'trendies' who go because they think they should though.

One really depressing thing about this country is the tendency of people to want to dismiss the old in favour of the new in a way that tries to denigrate the old, in order to promote the new. Often musicians, writers, theatre companies are doing better and better work, having gained experience, but the 'taste formers' decide it's time to cut them down and promote something else. We have writers who get a new play produced and then, a few plays later, they are attacked/forgotten for doing the same things that they had been praised for. Ennui is rife, nothing is worth sticking with beyond the second or third release/production etc. You get a number of critics who do this too.

#22 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:44 PM

Cardinal, do you know what extras you get for the £85 tickets though? I'm curious. A guaranteed good view of the finale? (can you tell this rankles?!)

#23 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:17 PM

View PostCardinal Pirelli, on 24 June 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

The £85 tickets apparently subsidise the cheap concession tickets released every Monday.

Think of it as wealth redistribution.

There is no mechanism for a person older than 26 and in employment to get a ticket cheaper than £47.50 (after press night). Even the most commercial of west end theatres have plenty of such options. So it sounds like an excuse rather than wealth redistribution. And it leaves a sour taste, especially since the £85 tickets gives you access to extra content. Which is either important, or dead weight, it can't be both. Either way, someone is cheated.

#24 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:18 PM

I'm not interested as it sounds like spoon feeding and takes away the challenge, a few glasses of something nice and not having to queue would be welcome though, a cattle prod maybe?

I'd be interested to know what happened in the shop in Dalston though.

#25 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

View PostCardinal Pirelli, on 24 June 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

One really depressing thing about this country is the tendency of people to want to dismiss the old in favour of the new in a way that tries to denigrate the old, in order to promote the new. Often musicians, writers, theatre companies are doing better and better work, having gained experience, but the 'taste formers' decide it's time to cut them down and promote something else.

I asked my question in a neutral way, without giving an opinion, which I can't because I've only attended The Duchess of Malfi.

Are you implying that you think Punchdrunk is " doing better and better work, having gained experience"? I'm sure that's right, but my question is whether they are now experimenting better or perfecting the same experiment? And, if the latter, are you quite content with that, or would you be more interested to see them do something a bit diferernt next time?

Your "tips", such as following the most interesting performer as they exit, strike me as very close to "spoon feeding". If you've now cultivated an unfailing set of audience techniques which can be used to best appreciate each and every Punchdrunk mega-show, but which aren't communicated to the general audience, then it seems to me that you are unfairly in a priveleged position vis-a-vis your fellow audience members and that the company's original features of experimentalism and discovery have been exhausted.

I repeat, I'm asking questions, not giving my assessment. I've read that the Punchdrunk core members, while studying at Exeter University, studied the work of Brith Gof which was a theatre company which continually morphed and refreshed itself.

#26 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:28 PM

That may have seemed like a reply when I was just musing, I wasn't really addressing anyone in particular. Compared to other companies their work has been very varied - the audio tour I mentioned 'The Borough', one on one jaunt round London 'The Black Diamond', art exhibit 'Tunnel 228' (didn't work for me, too static), film/walk 'It Felt Like a Kiss' and so on. Personally, I think they are best at the audio and the big scale work like this, they've been avoiding it for too long. I've seen so much similar work which has guided me around with no real freedom or that you can grasp in the first ten minutes that I was starting to get wary about booking for yet another pallid version.

Malfi was a compromise that could have been better, they used the wrong space, they had to adapt it at the last minute, it had music which militated against understanding. Finale was great though and the lead was stunningly good.

I don't mind trying to give information to those that want it, just that I prefer the sleuthing myself. In the end that's one of many ways of approaching it, I went with a colleague to Faust who was an artist and who went around sitting down and sketching sets and scenes, that way would have driven me crazy but they really liked doing it!

I hope people don't take what I've written as 'the way to do it', I specifically said that it was a way that helped me and that it might help someone who was a bit lost.

I repeat, please, please do it your own way in the end!

#27 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

The Drowned Man was cancelled tonight due to "issues arising from the technical complexity of creating a production on such a large scale."

#28 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

Turned up with a few friends this evening and the show was cancelled, serves me right for not checking my emails. Friends thankfully understanding!

Oh well, it's what you risk when booking early previews. Can exchange tickets for later at preview prices though.

EDIT: 24 hours later managed to get in, more spoilers in that thread with one find that I was particularly pleased to spot.

#29 pepem

pepem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

Hated it, best bit of the evening was the ice cream at Burger King afterwards.

#30 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2079 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:10 PM

Did you follow one of the actors to Burger King? Actually they should do this, bit of sponsorship to keep prices down
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users