45 replies to this topic

#31 pepem

pepem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

That's funny, but be careful that level of humour will probably get shot down on here.

#32 foxa

foxa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:Theatre (obviously), film, books, walking

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:18 PM

Went to the 5 p.m. show and was glad that I had quite a bit of advice from Cardinal here and others elsewhere, so for example, could warn companion not to worry if we got separated, etc., ditched my glasses pretty early on, wore comfortable shoes, and so forth.  I think I missed almost all of one of the storylines anyway  (and I know Woyzeck well) and some other important stuff.  What CP calls the Western side was more accessible to me than the other.  I had to make some strong choices to avoid constantly ending back in the sand. Am still mulling it over.

#33 Coated peanut

Coated peanut

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:27 PM

Sunday's performance has been cancelled again - no Drowned Man for me this week....

#34 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:29 AM

Perhaps they have cancelled it so they can actually cobble together some content to fill the gaping void in this "show" before it opens for good next week....

Regarding my use of the phone....as times it is so dangerously dark that I used it as a light source for my own safety.

In fact on Friday I saw someone being helped out who had fallen over in the dark (she was a fit and able bodied person)

Secondly if there is so much idle time that I have opportunity to use it, then that it is not may fault the show is not up to standard.

And if I choose to use the phone whilst sitting on a sofa within the staging, whilst there is no one else around and nothing is happening, then I call that clever multi tasking.

So there!

#35 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:21 AM

Sometimes this place is so off kilter with what I am seeing elsewhere that it is unfathomable, It's hot and my sinuses preclude much sleep so, for fun, I just collated tweets from the last six hours or so. I tend to look at them every day or two as it's interesting to see, with this production, what extra clues people might give away. I took out names.

"I saw #drownedman with #punchdrunk tonight...pretty blooming mind blowing and quite an adventure"
"Just brushing the sand off my knees. Been to see #drownedman tonight. Brilliant!"
"#punchdrunk #drownedman was incredible @NationalTheatre - disturbing, unsettling, fun & goddam weird. It's blown my tiny mind eh"
""The Drowned Man". Wow, wow, wow! Completely crazy experience. Absolutely loved it."
"#drownedman Larger scale than previous @PunchDrunk productions - still conjured wonderful moments (& that sense of missing something!)"
"Punchdrunk's The Drowned Man: simply a stunning piece of theatre. Go and see it!"
"Just seen #punchdrunk's new show The Drowned Man at Temple Studios. Pretty damn awesome. Great show & amazing set. Go see."
"Damn, @NationalTheatre and Punchdrunk's 'The Drowned Man' is out of this world! #immersivetheatre #sandytoes"
"Just experienced The Drowned Man by @NationalTheatre at Temple Studios. Very bizarre but would recommend #theatre #London"
"Well.... I FUCKING LOVED PUNCHDRUNK (even if my leg is now more than a bit buttered) #TheatreInjuries "
"Punchdrunk was amazing. Feels like I've been in a David Lynch film for the last three hours"
"#TheDrownedMan WAS SO GOOD. Drunk off #Punchdrunk."
"Saw the most amazing piece of theatre Do whatever you can to get a ticket for Punch Drunk. Amazing, inspirational, scared the hell out of me"
"Back from seeing Punch Drunk at Paddington. Like walking through Selfridges as designed by David Lynch."
"Punch Drunk's #TheDrownedMan , was impressive. Such detail & care with the props & sets. Freaky masks were worn! "
"#punchdrunk blew my mind... Amaze balls. Happy face. Next time I will be a part of it rather than a spectator..."
"Had the weirdest theatre experience tonight. If you know who Punchdrunk are, you'll understand."
"Just home from #punchdrunk @NationalTheatre show. Wow. What an incredible experience! Exciting times for theatre."
"#TheDrownedMan production by Punch Drunk was something else last night. Seriously one of best theatrical experiences. If you still can - GO."

Potentially negative
"Weirdest two hours of my life at #punchdrunk! Abstract theatre on a whole new level."
"The Drowned Man was exhausting. Culture is hard. #drownedman"

Mixed
"Worried felt formulaic RT : #punchdrunk was something truly sexy  PS ta for kind wishes"
"so Punchdrunk...amazing staging, design but mostly WTF?"
"Punchdrunk's The Drowned Man: not sure if its good or bad it is different, bit creepy, odd but an experience to be had & not to be missed."
"loved #drownedman. Hard to find coherent narrative, but maybe you just have to make sense of fragments you see. great experience."

Negative?
"Punchdrunk theatre's #DrownedMan was exhausting. Huge, detailed sets to explore. Felt like walking into Bioshock. I preferred their Dr Who play, because it was a linear story. The joy of Drowned Man is exploration. Have fun"

Huh?"
"The crowd at #punchdrunk is entirely people like me, but louder and from Clapham. HORRENDOUS."

There are usually a couple of more negative comments per night, maybe the Saturday crowd is happier! When something is bad, like Babel, or below par, like the recent Secret Cinema, then the negative comments flow out.

Is it that people here are a particular theatre type? Anyway, with word of mouth like this then why change much?

#36 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1777 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

Maybe more discerning? :) You do seem very invested in this show, Cardinal.

#37 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

View PostAlexandra, on 30 June 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

Maybe more discerning? :) You do seem very invested in this show, Cardinal.
I'm invested in it by buying a ticket. I've realised that it was a bit too British to just sit there and inwardly moan about audience members, so to have one boast about it, on here of all places..... If they realise they are spoiling other people's evident enjoyment then maybe others will think twice.

More seriously though, the nature of the production means that I'm interested in trying to unravel it. In the US there's a lot of discussion and analysis of the New York show, I would have thought this was as good a place as any to start it. Or is that not the done thing? This is one show where, if you don't invest, you don't get much back after all.

#38 pepem

pepem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

Obsessed or what!

#39 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:42 PM

You try and help people and stop bad audience behaviour and this is what happens.... :(

#40 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1777 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

You were very helpful. I think you just have to let people not like the show as much as you do, without branding them as being a particular "type".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users